Widescreen

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Widescreen

Post by forthbridge »

After reading Tony's Samsung post......

anyway..... I currently use a 17" Samsung TFT, bought in Jan '06, after I returned the hideous TFT that came with a setup I'd bought...... visually I am still evry pleased with it.....

..however....... I have been casting my eye on a setup for Flightsim, which ticks all the boxes and comes with a 22" widescreen monitor (Acer)...
First of all... I can save about £75 if I choose not to go with the monitor (and put this to a better model) - but I'm not sure if I actually want widescreen.

I use them at work, and even the large screens seem very 'narrow'... so I just thought I'd ask... how does FS look on the WS monitors? Has anyone went back to standard screens from widescreen, or would you not go back?
Jim

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Widescreen

Post by DaveB »

Hi Jim..

Still hanging on to my 19" CRT but I have a selection of hardware attached to various systems around Booker Towers including 2 PC's with widescreen monitors. If you're a 2D panel man.. you'll have to put up with it looking stretched. If you only use VC's.. no problemo.. it will look normal.. that is proportional ;-) Next tft I get will probably be bigger than the 19" CRT but NOT widescreen if at all possible :)

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

Cheers Dave.... as a 2D flyer, I'm tempted to save the cash and see if I can pick up a standard proportioned one anywhere..... on the face of it, not available where I've looked so far!

:think:
Jim

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate..

They are there but I agree that they're getting increasingly difficult to source. A good alternative is to go for one with a greater height res. Many of these WS monitors are XXXX x 1025 or 1050 but I reckon XXXX x 1200 would keep the aspect ratio closer to none WS. Now.. where's that lottery ticket :lol:

ATB

ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

If you don't want widescreen and have a few quid spare.... ;-)

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/22-Neovo ... -3-ms-VESA
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

:o :o

Blimey! I might not feel like using it much if I walked in with that and SWMBO discovered the price :lol:
Jim

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hi Jim. I've used widescreen laptops for a couple of years now and I wouldn't go back to a regular monitor. The panoramic effect is more like how the eye sees but the trade off is slightly elliptical instruments in 2D view. I stopped noticing it after about 5 minutes and don't remember unless somebody points it out in a screenshot.

I've posted these before for the same reason - a demonstration of both 2D and VC cockpits on my current 1366 x 768 widescreen. Hope it helps.

Ian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes.. that one IS a bit steep. There is another there listed with the same res but much less expensive. It says widescreen but so does that one on Ben's link.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/22-Neovo ... -DVI-Cable

ATB

ImageImage

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

I've been using my 26" Widescreen for a few months now...I'd never go back. I use my old 19" regular on the PC in the lounge and it looks soo tiny now in comparison.

Now I know many would say 26" is a touch overkill but it's great for games and besides, I got it on quite a good deal!

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Andy
Andy M.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I had to go widescreen a while ago as that was all there was :-(

I hate the format......my eyesight is more square than wide so I find the ordinary monitio proprotion of slightly wider than tall is bang on.

I loathe the distorted dials.

I also hate LCD screens as the colour varies with angle .....bring back CRT's I'm seripous, modern montitors trade off far too much and make working on screens far harder.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."