Freeview retune..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Freeview retune..

Post by DaveB »

Hi y'all..

Has everyone (who has one) retuned their freeview boxes today?? I got back from Brooklands this afternoon and retuned my set top box as instructed and now.. I can't get ITV4 :-O No clues for guessing which channel I watch most :(( I suppose I'll have to get used to not watching The Saint, The Champions, UFO, Space1999 e t c and start getting back into Star Trek as I now have Virgin One 8)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Freeview retune..

Post by Garry Russell »

Apparently ITV3 is off as well :worried:

That's progress :wall: :wall:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Unfortunately it depends on how old your boxes are, some will re-tune fully but others won't....think it must be some sort of secret plan thought up by manufacturers and shops so they can make a bit more money by making you go out and buy a new one just so you can watch your favourite soaps!! :wall:

Just wait until the digital switch-over...what little surprises will they have in-store for us then? *-)

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I think this may only affect certain boxes or be a short term issue during the switch over while they shuffle channels around the multi-plex(es).
Some boxes can't actually handle the number of channels now available, although most of those just brick so I don't think that's what you're seeing.

More here:- http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/09/30 ... ew_retune/ mostly in the comments section which has some useful advice.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate..

Yes.. the Freeview site says that after the retune, some viewers (only around 20-odd thousand so who cares) may lose ITV3 and 4 but we should now have Quest :-O All this to make way for Ch5 on digital 8)

There is one bonus to having Virgin1 (though this doesn't come close to losing ITV4).. 'Seven' out of Star Trek Voyager is so incredibly well put together, it does make watching Voyager a viable proposition. I never liked Voyager when it was on BBC.. a woman Captain was too much to swallow :lol:

I think I'm gonna have to get back into flightsim again ;)

Re the couple of posts that have just popped in while I was constructing this rubbish.. yup, some of the older boxes (of which mine is not one) will not retune. Others have lost ITV3 and 4 due to distribution of aerials and I guess some power too. I read a while back that once terrestrial (analogue) TV dies the death, power currently diverted to that part of the signal will go to the digital signal and there will be (should be) improvements for all. Yeh.. ok. It's 2009 now and the switchoff in my area isn't until 2012 8)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I believe this is prep work so we can all get some HD channels free next year without having to buy new eqipment or get freesat
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes mate.. I'd forgotten about that. Though you can get HD on freesat, I don't think it's migrated to freeview yet so for those who already have HD capable kit, they'll be quids in without having to fork out any extra.. that is unless it's ITV3 and ITV4 they like to watch :lol: I jest.. I doubt either of those would go HD anyway. 4 might as it carries a reasonable amount of sport.

Perhaps I'll buy myself a freesat kit for christmas :wasntme:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Prop Jockey »

Oh thanks for the heads up Dave - I haven't done mine and won't now unless things grind to a halt. Add to your list Red Bull Air Race and Premiership Rugby and I too would feel like I'd lost a limb by loosing ITV 4.

Cheers

Rich

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate..

Yes.. I was thinking of the Red Bull Air Race and British SuperBike Championship as well as BTCC. When I turned my set on this afternoon.. it was still on ch24 (ITV4) and The Saint had just started. I retuned and there it was gone. I've tried half a dozen times throughout the evening and still.. CH24 shows no signal :'( Oh the humanitites.

Chances are, you will not be troubled by the retune but had I known at 3:30pm what I found at 3:32.. I'd not have bothered :rant:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I get the impressions that it's only a couple of channels and less than one per cent are inconvienienced......so it's not a problem

This misses ths point, as it is just as bad to an individual whether they be the only person or one of a million and as to only losing the odd channel that could be the only one they watch.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."