Instructor Giving Pupil Hard Time.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Instructor Giving Pupil Hard Time.

Post by Nigel H-J »

How many remember this series? One pupil getting some stick from the instructor.

Would be interesting to know what became of some of them now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovo_-cQIBoM&NR=1

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Instructor Giving Pupil Hard Time.

Post by petermcleland »

What a bloody awful instructor...It was him that was failing, not the pupil! :(

dutch11
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by dutch11 »

I remember when I was taking the flight test for my private pilot's license. I had the most amazing check pilot. I believe he was a helicopter flight instructor for the army, and did civilian flight instruction in his spare time. He had a wonderful way of encouraging you to do the right thing at the right time, all the time making you feel you were doing a great job. I was taking a test, and he was administering the test, but all the time he was instructing. He made what could have been a very stressful thing enjoyable. It's such a blessing to have teachers like that, I wish there were more of them.

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Anyone remember that series where they took several modern pilots and taught them to fly old vintage and warbird aircraft, eventually giving them Sally B to fly?
Best bit was the instructor (and he's a well know display pilot whos name escapes me) that said to the pupil while flying the Tiger or maybe twas a Stampe "You need to be gentle with the controls. Treat it like a woman. Make love to it but don't shag it!" or words to that effect :-)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

DogTailRed2 wrote:"You need to be gentle with the controls. Treat it like a woman. Make love to it but don't shag it!" or words to that effect :-)
That only applies to the first date/lesson ;) Subsequently it's important to take control and be masterful or it'll treat you with contempt!

Ian :lol:

AndyMinx
Victor
Victor

Post by AndyMinx »

A bit harsh of him.

To be honest he reminds me of what my PPL instructor was like, could almost have been him! it's no wonder I gave up!
Andy M.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I think in fairness to the instructor , the editing has cut a great deal out - as one of the comments below the film said, at one stage the Instructor said " I have control" and without drawing breath was apparently saying the student was doing this and that. Nonetheless, in my days as an instructor, the golden rule was don't shout , and don't rattle the student, because in that state they learn nothing, and nothing is more infectious than a panicky sounding instructor. The whole point of being an instructor is to let the student make mistakes, because you learn more from your own mistakes than in any other way, and point them out but only take over if disaster was otherwise inevitable. Also, iIf we had a student we just could not get on with, then immediately we would transfer him/her to someone else, and most times a fresh start did the trick

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

An interesting piece of film.

I suppose every teacher has their teaching style and I would imagine they would always defend their methods. Claiming their work gets results.

It may get results. But it may also cause resentment from the student.

I think this instructor is obviously experienced but lacks common courtesy and respect for this poor chap.

At the end of the day.

Its flight training. Involving adults. In a serious business. So why the aggression?

Further down the line, that sort of attitude can cause the weaker and more inexperienced pilot to keep his mouth shut due to fear.

That can get you killed.
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Post by Tarasdad »

Negative attitude from the instructor = negative attitude from the student. You get far better results from calm, courteous, professional instruction methods than you do by the sort of negative reinforcement displayed in this video. When I was teaching new dispatchers how to do the job I always reinforced what they were doing right, not harp on what they were doing wrong. Correction was by showing them what to do in a positive way, and it worked like a charm.

Sorry to say my patience level and that instructor's attitude would not have been a good match at all.

auster
Viscount
Viscount

Post by auster »

I think that the instructor was a bit out of his depth and allowed himself to get worked up. I seem to remember that when he sent the student off on his first solo, he was in the control tower displaying real agitation.

I am a bit hazy about this series but does anyone else remember that of all the student pilots being trained, only on or two really wanted to be a fighter pilot. Very sad.

Ralph