REX2 questions

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

REX2 questions

Post by Fodda »

Having seen some pretty impressive screenies being ascribed to REX2 in FSX recently, I'm almost ready to put the plastic number in a box.

A couple of questions before i do though...

Does it come with a real weather function? At the moment I'm using Active Sky 6.5 in FSX, would REX2 replace that for generating my real time or downloaded archive weather?

Does it need to work through FSUIPC or can I ignore all the FSUIPC weather settings when using REX2? (I have a full registered copy of FSUIPC for FSX).

How does it hit frame rates?

Cheers

*edit* Ooops, meant to put this in the payware section... Sorry.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: REX2 questions

Post by Garry Russell »

Duly moved :thumbsup:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Fodda wrote:Having seen some pretty impressive screenies being ascribed to REX2 in FSX recently, I'm almost ready to put the plastic number in a box.

A couple of questions before i do though...

Does it come with a real weather function? At the moment I'm using Active Sky 6.5 in FSX, would REX2 replace that for generating my real time or downloaded archive weather?
It has a very good real weather engine that runs outside of FSX. Not only does it load the weather into FSX but the weather screen looks a lot like a weather radar screen and can display a radar view, turbulence, atmospheric pressures and several other features too.
Fodda wrote:Does it need to work through FSUIPC or can I ignore all the FSUIPC weather settings when using REX2? (I have a full registered copy of FSUIPC for FSX).
It doesn't need FSUIPC at all but the two programs play happily together with no issues. Admittedly I never set up weather functions in FSUIPC so I am not sure if they would conflict but REX2 weather is just fine as-is.
Fodda wrote:How does it hit frame rates?
REX2 gives me a steady 30 FPS on my rig in wide open places dropping to mid 20's around large airports and big cities. Obviously IFR weather is going to have a bigger hit than a clear day but it's not a huge hit. In addition to REX2 I also run FPS Limiter to control the FPS, Texture Max Load Editor to make sure it is always loading the hi-def graphics, FS Water Configurator to control the waves and water behaviour and nHancer to handle the general graphics side.

I love REX2 and would never fly without it. I set up a theme I liked and installed it and I hardly ever have to touch the REX2 set-up screen now. The weather engine is set to load automatically when FSX starts so basically it's working as a 'set and forget' application.
Larry

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Yeah.

What he said. Ditto'd. :lol: :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

3rd-ed

I LOVE the REX real world weather... it is more accurate than going to the Met Office pages to see what its like elsewhere in the country... or checking out what weather is on the way by flying an FS Weather Recon flight!! :D

GO FOR IT, you won't regret it. :thumbsup:

Andy

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

Some excellent responses there. Thanks all for that. So far so good. One more thing though... Can I download archived weather? For example, this evening I used AS6.5 to download weather that happened between 9 and 10 this morning so that I could fly a morning flight. I may also want to go back to August and fly my return from Lisbon at some time. With AS6.5 this is easy... Does Rex2 handle old weather patterns?

I'm 95% there... :D

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Fodda wrote:Can I download archived weather? For example, this evening I used AS6.5 to download weather that happened between 9 and 10 this morning so that I could fly a morning flight. I may also want to go back to August and fly my return from Lisbon at some time. With AS6.5 this is easy... Does Rex2 handle old weather patterns?
I just checked my REX2 and it does appear to have some ability to load archived weather. However, I have never used that feature and don't know how it is implemented or where it gets the old data from (it appears to want to load a text file).

I am sure it is documented in the manual somewhere or if not a question on the very helpful REX2 forums may produce the answers you are looking for.
Larry

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

Thanks Larry. REX2 forums... Now there's an idea... Why didn't I think of that first... DOH! :doh: