Fairey Gannet

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Fairey Gannet

Post by DaveB »

Hi Rob..

Yup.. the Midland Air Museum are a decent crowd. Show enough interest and doors can open ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Dave,although I've never requested access to a particular aircraft at the Midland Air Museum, I have always found their staff extremely helpful during a visit there.ATB EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Indeed mate. I turned up there out of the blue and asked if I could get inside the Hunter and there you have it.. DG's Hunter has a panel ;) Been in a few more too. Nice place.. fair book shop (left a few quid lighter) and you can get a cup of tea at the canteen ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

Absolutely, Dave, good tea, nice cheese and onion toasted sandwiches too. On a cold day's visit, they really hit the spot. Last time I went there, a lot of stuff was closed up, but when I let them know we'd come 6,000 miles to look in the Canberra (how can you break a 3 year old girl's heart?) they melted and let us in. Brilliant people.

Oddly enough I can't seem to find my Gannet cockpit shots...must have them around here somewhere *-)

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

I have to-day visited the Midland Air Museum and all the good things people have said about the place are absolutely true, I rang them last week and explained what I was up to and that I was after some cockpit pictures of the Gannet, nothing was to much trouble for them, they set up access to the pilots cockpit (very cramped for such a large aircraft) and Barry James gave me a conducted tour.I now have all the cockpit shots I need and should anyone want copies I would be very happy to pass them on. Thank you to all for recommending the museum.

Rob Richardson

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Nice one Rob. Looking forward to the results!
I think the FAAM charge upwards of £50 to access an aircraft these days... (and £10 for access to the archive, plus £10 entry to the museum). You did well! :thumbsup:

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Glad you found what you needed there Rob ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

nazca_steve wrote:Absolutely, Dave, good tea, nice cheese and onion toasted sandwiches too. On a cold day's visit, they really hit the spot. Last time I went there, a lot of stuff was closed up, but when I let them know we'd come 6,000 miles to look in the Canberra (how can you break a 3 year old girl's heart?) they melted and let us in. Brilliant people.
Yikes...your little one is 3 already...seems like only yesterday you were announcing the arrival..where'd all that time go..

ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

I know what you mean, Pete, she's four going on fourteen next April, and the little man just turned one. Crazy how time files.

Rob, really glad the MAM visit worked out. For £5 entry, you cannot go wrong there.

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

Thanks Steve,
I really must go back there some time, without the blinkers on, and take in at some of the other exibits!

Rob