Fairey Gannet

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Re: Fairey Gannet

Post by nazca_steve »

Deffo worth it, Rob...get some of those cheese and onion toasties in on your next visit too! Did you have time for the Vulcan on your visit?

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

Hi Steve,
Spent all my time there looking over the Gannet, once in that cockpit I lost all track of time, in fact I was on my third or fourth approach to the "Ark" when I got the nod that it was chucking out time, they seemed to see the funny side of the situation though!

Rob

nazca_steve
Concorde
Concorde
Location: South Orange County, California (ex-pat from Cambs.)

Post by nazca_steve »

I can easily imagine that...had a similar experience when I was doing research on the Sea Hawk. I took so many pics in it that I used up most of my battery...come scaling the Gannet's walls it ran out, just after I chucked out down to the curator to take a pic of me! It really is high up in there, isn't it? Did you use the footsteps or just go up the ladder the whole way?

Steven Beeny, repainter and modeller. New Canberra series for FS9 out now.
http://www.flyingstations.com

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Got a nice surprise a wee while ago, the Gannet is now OUT, you can get it here.

http://www.classicbritishfiles.com/inde ... fo&id=1611
AsusP5Q mobo P45 Chipset
QX6850 extreme 3ghz running at 3.6
4 gig OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz PC8500
XFX 8800GTS 512 G92Engine

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Harry Basset
Victor
Victor

Post by Harry Basset »

This Gannet is great! After flying it I just have two questions.

Firstly, on engine start as soon as an engine starts the Gannet runs away even with throttles closed easily overcoming the parking brake.

Second, the documentation mentions a speed brake and I have found a control marked for it in the cockpit but after operating this control it opens the bomb bay. Does the Gannet have a speed brake?

I'm off up and away.

Mike

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike :hello:

Not got as far as looking in the cockpit yet.. still in wash and go mode :lol: I have noticed it 'running on' on closed throttle on the deck though. There is a setting in the aircraft.cfg which will stop this but I'm jiggered if I can remember what it is *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

Hi all,
The running on at start prob might be something to do with prop pitch, I did sod about with this setting just before I uploaded! Something like "prop beta on ground", I was trying to get the props to stop more quickly when one engine is shut down.Sorry.
No speed brake on Gannet, key used for weapons bay doors.

Rob

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Rob :hello:

Rgr that ;)

I've noticed that when shutting one engine down in the air, No.2 at the first attempt, I couldn't get the ignition back.. the switch stayed off no matter where I plonked the mouse. It is possible to start it again using the starter but as soon as the switch cover is closed, the engine dies. I say dies.. according to the panel, it's still going though from throttle response, it's obviously not. Prop didn't fully feather to a stop in the air so it's difficult to tell *-) Runs ok as long as you don't fiddle :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

Hi Dave ,
I haven't worked it all out yet either, I think I've got all the right levers in there, just not managed to push/pull them in the right order yet! I did get it working with props feathered but cannot for the life of me remember how I did it! :S

Rob