Fairey Gannet

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Fairey Gannet

Post by robcarrich »

The rocket visibility is controlled by the fuel in the external 81gal tanks and not be adjusting their own weight, the logic being, after a hard days sub hunting and having used my external fuel I have probably loosed off a few projectiles at anything I came accross and can now land back on somewhat lighter.
She does accelerate rather well from standstill, I have not been able to cure that as yet, great short field performance though!

Rob

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Thanks for the replies. I'll play with the fuel and payload settings. Also, look for that elusive switch.

D.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Only just had a chance to play with the Gannet. Very nice job with the modelling Rob. :thumbsup:
I think it could do with some shadowing in the intake area, and some parts look a bit too shiny, but that's a minor thing and it's a matter of personal taste anyway.
It's a hell of a lot better than my second (or third, or fourth) FS model. Looking forward to the next one :cheers:
Dave G.

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

DaveG wrote:Only just had a chance to play with the Gannet. Very nice job with the modelling Rob. :thumbsup:
I think it could do with some shadowing in the intake area, and some parts look a bit too shiny, but that's a minor thing and it's a matter of personal taste anyway.
It's a hell of a lot better than my second (or third, or fourth) FS model. Looking forward to the next one :cheers:

Thank you Dave,
It's the texturing side of things that I'm struggling with, I would like to model the gauges, what program did you use for the artwork on the Hunter gauges?

Regards
Rob

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Rob :hello:

I think DaveG has always been on Max of some description.. probably 3DSMax now. I can't believe the graduated shading he's got on HMS Fearless so whatever it is he's using.. you can bet it's not cheap ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Indeed Dave :agree:

DG is 3DS Max :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

All the backgrounds Hunter gauges were hand drawn in photoshop at 300x300 pixels each, then put together on one 2048x2048 texture sheet. Holes are cut in the panel and a simple plane with the relevant part of the gauge texture is put behind the hole. Model the gauge rim and needle, animate the needle and there you go.
Just a modelling exercise really, and well within your skills Rob. Hardest part is getting the code right for some of the gauges. I've got code for most common gauges now, so if you need any, give me a shout.
Dave G.

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

Indeed DAve is right. I am on my second model with 3d gauges. They are really simply to make, it is just a pain sometimes working out the code for some. I have made most of the basic ones. here is the start of the PUMA VC with the 3d VSI

I am still learning the code, and still need to work out the more complex gauges like HSI;s and VOR etc

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

DaveG wrote:All the backgrounds Hunter gauges were hand drawn in photoshop at 300x300 pixels each, then put together on one 2048x2048 texture sheet. Holes are cut in the panel and a simple plane with the relevant part of the gauge texture is put behind the hole. Model the gauge rim and needle, animate the needle and there you go.
Just a modelling exercise really, and well within your skills Rob. Hardest part is getting the code right for some of the gauges. I've got code for most common gauges now, so if you need any, give me a shout.
Thank you Dave I really appreciate your advice,
I did model the two "shaft horsepower" gauges in the Gannet but beyond that I just was'nt able to get the paintjob right, it's the radial line spacing that throws me, I can't find anything in Paint Shop Pro to do this accurately.
The rewards are too high to let this beat me so thank you again for the info, It will take some time to understand it all.

Regards
Rob

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

ukmil wrote:Indeed DAve is right. I am on my second model with 3d gauges. They are really simply to make, it is just a pain sometimes working out the code for some. I have made most of the basic ones. here is the start of the PUMA VC with the 3d VSI

I am still learning the code, and still need to work out the more complex gauges like HSI;s and VOR etc
It's the only way to go, the difference it makes to the 3d feel of a VC is well worth the effort, I hope I get there!

Regards
Rob