WTF

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

WTF

Post by Garry Russell »

Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: WTF

Post by FlyTexas »

:lol: Funny stuff. Years ago I was attending a Confederate Air Force show here in Texas and saw a similar act. This act involved an "old lady". Of course the "old lady" took off and did all sorts of goofy flying but the really interesting part was when someone raced a pickup truck down the runway and tried to hand the "old lady" the pilots manual...as she flew just above the pickup truck. :-O They successfully handed her the manual (a pretty slick trick) but then the manual self-destructed sending pages flying all over the runway. :lol:

Brian

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Rubbing the wingtips????? :worried:

Garry
Garry

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

I was wondering about that Garry, I think they might have put rubber strips or something on there to avoid damaging the aircraft. Otherwise I think you'd have to press down so hard on the wingtip to generate that much smoke that you wouldn't be able to keep it going in a straight line, not sure though...

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Wonderful stuff . Looked like my crosswind landings

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

The Cubs they use for this are highly modified. For example, the [url=http://www.pietschaircraft.com/airshows/"Jelly Belly" Cadet[/url] has a fake left aileron (and it flies perfectly well without it) that comes off during the "flight". Kyle just has steel scrape plates on the wingtips of his Cub. Scares the crap out of some people when they see it for the first time (including myself). It takes an EXCELLENT pilot to fly a plane that badly and not do any damage to it. Just look at how long on that last landing he's able to keep it up on one wheel. That is not something a "typical" pilot is capable of doing.

Kyle however is an EXCELLENT stick and does this routine very well. You can see more about him on the main site - http://www.franklinairshow.com/

BTW, if you want to see a really cool performance, try and see one of his brother-in-law Matt Yonukin's night performances in his dad's Beech 18 (go here - http://www.franklinairshow.com/Our%20Acts.htm and scroll down about 2/3 of the way down the page to "Night Twin Beech 18"). I saw that in person 2 years ago at AirSho and it was AWESOME. (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ihRSHKWz8)

As an aside, these gentlemen are sons of the late Bobby Younkin and Jimmy Franklin, sadly killed in a mid-air collision while flying a duo aerobatic act in Canada. http://www.franklinairshow.com/Memorial.htm I then unfortunately watched the 3rd member of their team, and close family friend to them, Jim LeRoy pass away in an accident at the Dayton Air Show two years later.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Mr. Russell I was shocked at the footage.. and well - I think
this is the kind of stuff fools fill there heads with , and then go and kill themselves attempting to replicate it ....

*-)
on the otherhand , When It's done by a professional , I love it Image

think maybe it had some reinforcment on the wing tips ? ;)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks for all that Chris

I suppose they are limited to where they can do it as well.nice stable air.

Locally the air is too bumpy to get away with that. :worried:

Brilliant display :)

Garry
Garry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Yep Chris mentions steel tips....must act as a sort of skid.

What happened to that guy who had another set of inveted undercarriage on the top of the fuse or was it a biplane wing...and used to land upside down?? *-)

Garry
Garry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

WTF