Naval Escapades!

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Naval Escapades!

Post by TSR2 »

Just tried to Land on Ark as she left liverpool... Lots of pitching and rolling! :lol:

Dave, set your date to next Tuesday (08/12/09) and she should be there up until mid morning, then she will be steaming south.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ben :)

Yep.. I'd got the day right and the time too. An unfortunate consequence of running 2 like-for-like systems is that often, one isn't as like-for-like as t'other one. All the parts were in place so I looked at the sim.cfg and found the 'not working' Ark had a sim line of HMS Ark Royal ACC. I removed the ACC and she works fine ;) Took off from EGGP in the Vixen and did a trap while Ark was alongside. Must have been a treat for the locals :D

One question though.. launches. I take it there's a particular keystroke or action to allow cat launches but I can't for the life of me remember what it is 8)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

sketchy74
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Los Angeles, California, But an ExPat Brit from Cornwall

Post by sketchy74 »

Looking good Dave.

Great to see how the Glamorous Organ is coming on too.

Sketchy,

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Dave re cat launches shift + I should engage the holdback, if you are positioned correctly there should be a notification bottom left of your screen, Holdback engaged or some such, make sure your parking brake is on before the Shift + I bit, when you have hold back engaged open the throttle wide then press Shift + Spacebar and off you go
Rich

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Rich.. I'll give that a go :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

For a minute there I thought you had been converted until I read further down your post Dave, cracking shots. Are the helicopters noticeably easier to fly in FSX than FS9?

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I still fly helicopters in FS9 Nigel though I'm very choosy :)

To say they're easier to fly in FSX would be wrong mate. A better way to describe it is that they do what you'd expect them to do in FSX.. well, some do.. namely the default and a handful of others of which the Sycamore is one ;) The Wessex isn't bad to fly either but it was pretty stable in FS9 :) I know I'll probably be strung up but I don't like the way the Alpha Merlins fly in FSX.. that is, the FSX versions. It doesn't take much to get one into one of those hideous uncontrollable loops of death which are impossible to get out of. Try the same or similar in one of the default Merlins and there's no loop of death. I also find the Alpha models difficult to stop once you get a jildy on but control of the default is much more progressive. A direct comparison would be the default Cessna and the default Extra. One is very controllable.. the other is on speed :lol:

It has a lot of good points does FSX so I exploit them whenever I fancy a change. ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. I can't get FSX cat launches to work so that's me given up and back to FS9 :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Cheers Dave, thanks for the explanation, only fly a few helicopters when in the mood though and that has to be over interesting scenery so one can hover and admire the views and that reminds me, does anyone know of any topless beach ad-ons to be had anywhere? :D :worried:
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Dave,

The full FSX cat sequence is Shift+U to extend the launch bar, then Shift+I to hook on to the cat when you're in the right place, you then get the notification, and then Shift+Spacebar activates the cat. It makes more sense with newer jets like the Tomcat and Hornet that have a bar that extends from the nose gear rather than a steel cable to attach to the catapult.
If you're using the Iris Phantom an the latest version of the Ark then it's a case of lining up the aircraft model's shuttle and the ship model shuttle (use the water rudder to get the 'Toom to sit on it's tail and have the launch strop show).