(Real) BAC 1-11 wingview landing video

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

(Real) BAC 1-11 wingview landing video

Post by TobyV »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=770bc5aliqY

Great footage this and excellent sound. I have one question (which probably a real pilot or a dedicated One Eleven fan can probably answer); about 2 minutes into the video, after the flaps are deployed, the throttles are clearly advanced. Is it normal practice for such a high thrust level on final approach or might the airrcaft just have been a little slow?

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: (Real) BAC 1-11 wingview landing video

Post by Chris Trott »

The flaps add drag, so you need to spool the engines to maintain speed with a constant descent rate (or if you're level). That's what he did on the first spool. On the second, he was either low (and thus shallowed out his approach) or he spooled the engines in case of the need for a go-around. Since the engines don't react that quickly on the BAC 1-11 from low to medium throttle ranges, bringing up the throttles some on final will allow you quicker reaction in case of problems.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

HI Toby

As landing aircraft pass where I live the flaps are deployed and that is always acccompanied by increased thust.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

and more
thrust
when gear dropped :agree:

Nice vid Toby.
:)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this, Toby. Most of my approaches contain at least one "engines screaming/passengers gripping armrests in sheer terror" moment. :wasntme: Nice video by the way. :)

Brian

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I'm just curious. Of course I've had to do this in FS - deploying the flaps having deccelerated my aircraft more than I expected, but you could put that down to dubious flight physics is FS (or the model) or a dubious armchair pilot :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

ATP's are very noisy when they power up against the flaps, but the worst I remember was the Skyvan 2..it's Astazou's made it sound like a furious bee.

Quite quiet on takeoff though.....prop setting perhaps. *-)
Garry

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

I recall landing in Milan on a Maersk/BA 1-11 when sat to the rear of the cabin (maximum thrash...) and the engines seemed to be constantly adjusting up and down as we approached the runway, I assumed at the time we were making an automatic approach and the autothrottle was compensating for weather, but I don't know for certain. Whatever the reason, it was certainly more interesting than landing in a Boering 737 or Yawnbus.

Mind you landing back at Birmingham in a 1-11 always seemed hairier as they appeared (as a passenger) to come in faster and use more of the runway!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

The throttle are constantly adjusted to keep on the glidescope.

The Viscount and Argosy were two noticable types with contstantly audible throttle changing as was to a lesser extent 737-200.
Garry

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

Makes sense. And noise.

Talking of which, I remember being in one of those large second-hand car compounds located in Sheldon at the end of Birmingham's runway whilst helping a cousin choose a car (but being more interested in the metal taking off northbound out of BHX to be honest, one Astra looks like any other...). Most of the stuff was relatively quiet Boeings and Airbuses, but then a BA 1-11 took off - not only was it lower than the previous two Boeings, but it was so noisy the vibrations triggered every car alarm in the compound!