An American in Paris

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

An American in Paris

Post by FlyTexas »

Not exactly classic commercial aviation...but hope you enjoy it. :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k1XPEpzZEK2wrgSMgJ

Brian

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: An American in Paris

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks, Brian. I really enjoyed that - just like being back in the real job! It's a nice, fun look at all the elements that go to make up a transatlantic night stop.

I'll send that link to a few of my retired colleagues who I know will appreciate it.

Ian :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Lovely bit at the end with his daughter. :)

I think that illustrates one of the ( many ) reasons why I couldn't have been an airline pilot: I have sleep problems enough without having to cope with jet lag, changing time zones and a warm comfortable cockpit. I don't know how they deal with it, week after week.

Thanks for that, Brian...shame the music wasn't Gershwin, as the title suggests, though. ;)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Paul K wrote:I don't know how they deal with it, week after week.
You can't deal with it, Paul, you just get used to it. You can never acclimatise to any particular time zone because you're never in one place long enough :doh:
It all comes down to beer and coffee in the end. Beer to help you sleep or coffee to keep you awake Image

But your body always catches up in the end and after 10 days or so of insufficient sleep you fall into a mega-sleep of 12 hours or more ... and then start the process again.

One of the best things about having retired after 30 years of it is that I get to sleep in my own bed every night. (Actually, that's also one of the worst things about it... ;))

IanImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Seen that clip before but enjoyed seeing it again ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Yes indeed.......been posted before a fair time ago now but nice to see it again :)

Thanks Brian :thumbsup:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

speedbird591 wrote:You can't deal with it, Paul, you just get used to it. You can never acclimatise to any particular time zone because you're never in one place long enough :doh:
It all comes down to beer and coffee in the end. Beer to help you sleep or coffee to keep you awake Image

But your body always catches up in the end and after 10 days or so of insufficient sleep you fall into a mega-sleep of 12 hours or more ... and then start the process again.

One of the best things about having retired after 30 years of it is that I get to sleep in my own bed every night. (Actually, that's also one of the worst things about it... ;))

IanImage
Yes I suppose you get used to anything in the end, Ian. I used to do some weird shift patterns and extra hours at sea, and it was quite brutal at times. Then again, if the engines stopped, you still stayed afloat, and you could hand over to someone else after 4 hours.The decision-making process on an airliner is a little more crucial to your future health and well-being. ;)