FSX Strikes again: My Super VC10 has a hole!

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

FSX Strikes again: My Super VC10 has a hole!

Post by Badgerman »

Hello all,

I've just run into something I've not seen posted - I dug through the files and haven't found any mention of it, so I'm wondering if I've done something wrong... I'm flying around Africa in DM's wonderful VC10 models, and I just loaded a Super for the first time in far too long. As I was panning the external view around marveling at the detail (as usual!), something caught my eye that I'd never noticed before... my Super VC10 has holes in it! Directly in front of the fin, where the extreme forward edge meets the upper part of the fuselage, I've got a gap showing on both sides... it's rather disturbing, as how are we going to maintain cabin pressure!?! Is this another one of those FSX vs. 2004 things ? I was flying the East African livery, which allowed it to show up rather clearly as 2 blue holes... I went back and switched to various other textures, and even though the BOAC paint schemes tend to cover it up rather well, it's still there. Is there any way I can fix this ? I've checked to ensure that I've got the latest mdl files etc., and all is up to date.

Please don't think I'm complaining about this beauty, it's simply one of those things that once you've noticed it, you can't take your eyes off of it... and I'd love to try and fix it if I can. And sorry if I'm bringing up old news!

Mark

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: FSX Strikes again: My Super VC10 has a hole!

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mark, no problems with holes here. Have you got the latest files from DM's site? *-) I'm on FSX SP2 on Win 7 x64
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Hi Ben,

My set-up is the same as yours w.r.t. FSX levels and OS. I went to DM's site to re-download everything, but upon opening the files, I've got the latest. Re-installed anyway, but the dang things are still showing up... You know, they may not be holes, but could possibly be "unpainted" (lack of a better description) sections where only the textures reflectivity is showing...

I've got a NVidia GTX295 video card, and just upgraded from a 19 inch to a 28 inch monitor... it's the upgrade in my monitor which led to me re-visiting all my "old friends"... never noticed before with the little one on!

Mark

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Can you post a sceen shot mate?

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

This could well be a resolution issue.. that is, the higher the res, the bigger the screen the more likely you are to see peppering. Only a guess mind you *-) I don't see anything on my monitor but I'm only using 1152x864 as thats the optimum for it.

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

No holes here...

I'm running 1280 x 1024 which is native res on my 19" screen

ImageImageImage

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

I was wondering if it's a resolution thing - stretched out so big things that you normally wouldn't notice will show...

I'll try to post a screenshot... gonna have to set up an account somewhere. In the meantime - using your screenshot as a reference, see the blue "points" that come down off the fin onto the fuselage ? That's exactly where they are. Try flying the BA or East African livery where the fuselage is white at that section...

Mark

Badgerman
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Badgerman »

Looking at these... It's not holes... I'm pretty certain it's "reflective" parts with no tex... which really makes that stretching concept sound logical, at least to me!

Mark

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Your right! Its a materials problem with FSDS I think....

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Seems to imitate the lower forward edge of the BOAC tail markings

Why do the textures look so bleached??? *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."