BEA Timetable 1950's

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paule
Comet
Comet

BEA Timetable 1950's

Post by Paule »

Mornin. Does anyone have a BEA timetable for Elizabethan flights. Am trying to work out what speed the Elizabethans cruised at on a scheduled flight.

Hpefully anticipating?

Paul

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: BEA Timetable 1950's

Post by DaveB »

Hi Paul..

This is gonna be difficult to nail down without knowing exactly what altitude they flew at for a given route. Our VA destinations are authentic and the flight times are based on normal to max cruise speed. Don't bother picking on the Silver Wing service as a good example as these flights were often delayed to enable the all first class passengers to scoff their din-dins :) The same service was dropped on the Vanguard as the Vanguard was just too fast ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

richard/egtd
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by richard/egtd »

Paul

If you ever are in the Gatwick area, the CAA Library hold copies of ABC Airways Guides for every year from about 1946 onwards, from
which you could check the BEA schedules.

Richard.

Paule
Comet
Comet

Post by Paule »

Thanks Richard, don't think there is much chance of me getting to Gatwick. Dave - my suspicion is that they probably ran at 162 ish 182 TAS at 15000. This is all so I can get the fuel burn to match the Cruise Computer. I will have to do some more testing to get a feel for the altitude they might have used.

Sometimes I think I am flogging a dead horse on this one but persistent is my middle name.

cheers Paul

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

it would seem

Guidelines at altitudes 20000 ft are

Max cruise (1950 hp per engine): Boost 4 lbs, 2200 RPM. This will give you a true airspeed of approx. 300 mph (267 kts) or more.
Recommended fast cruise (1700 hp per engine): Boost 2 lbs, 2150 RPM. This will give you a true airspeed of approx. 280 mph.
Economical cruise (1300 hp per engine): Boost 0 lbs, 2050 RPM. This will give you a true airspeed of approx. 253 mph (160 kts/180 mph indicated). This was the the norm with BEA.

i have a copy of the BEA elizabethan timetable some where and you can pick up a copy of the pilots notes from the usual sources online

tgibson
Viscount
Viscount

Post by tgibson »

This page of a 1958 BEA timetable has Elizabethan flights:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages ... e58-10.jpg

The rest can be viewed here:

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/be58/

Hope this helps,
Tom Gibson

Cal Classic Propliner Page
http://www.calclassic.com

Paule
Comet
Comet

Post by Paule »

Many thanks for that Tom. Could be sometime before I release an update turning the current Ambassador into a fully fledged Elizabethan as I am having probs getting the fuel burn correct across a range of cruising speeds.

No need for anyone to get excited as its not a new model - just a revision to the Ambassador Fde and panel I did for the D-GHHH ambassador.

cheers
Paul