Unknown Nimrod file

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Unknown Nimrod file

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guy's..

Been trawling around my HD's and I've found a Nimrod MR2 that appears to be a beta as the textures are unfinished. The problem is.. I've no idea who's model it is. The title name in the aircraft.cfg is Nimrod 2007 (Blue) and the sim line is Nimrod 2007. The texture file for it is texture.grey.

Does anyone have any idea who's model this is and more to the point.. was it ever finished. I've checked the files I have against the visual models and entries from the UKMIL models and they don't match. I've a feeling it was a Simshed update but I can't find anything like it on the Simshed site *-)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Re: Unknown Nimrod file

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Mr B

I think it's Brian Franklin's Nimrod

I have it too mate and love it :thumbsup:

no idea if he's done more to it though as he's been "real lifeing" for a while

Regards
Rick

ggi
Meteor
Meteor

Post by ggi »

Have a check at Simviation http://www.simviation.com/menu.html may be of interest.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Rick :hello:

I'm not surprised it's Brians ;) The Nimrod nose isn't easy to get with it's many bends and this one is a blinder ;) There's a slight misalignment between the RH tailplane and RH elevator (the LH looks fine) but otherwise, I'd say the shape is there. The LH gear isn't mapped either now I come to think of it but hopefully, it's a small job. I really hope he finishes it :rock:

At the moment, I'm flying it with DM's airfile and cfg which puts the wheels a smidge too far into the ground but by doing this, my burn figures work and it makes a great Comet on the VA (oops) :lol:

EDIT..
Didn't see you nip in there ggi :) Yup.. I have the UKMIL Nimrods (for FS9) which have the benefit of including an R1 ;) . Overall, the shape of the model Rick and I are talking about is a wee bit tighter if you see what I mean. The curves are that much rounder.. the shape that much closer :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yep the latest UKMIL one is pretty good but the engines are very very wrong which is a real shame as the rest of the model is pretty good and you get the full set of all the models.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes indeed mate and not only that.. they come in FS9 and FSX flavours too AND.. there are multiplayer versions :)

There are blue/grey repaints for Brians older/release MR2 model (done by UKMIL as it happens) but I still get pink glass on that which is most annoying so I tend not to use it :( Brian only mapped it for hemp (single colour) too which makes earlier paints difficult to achieve (I'm thinking white top/light grey fuse). DC had a go at it but it didn't come out how he wanted. I guess that's why he made his own :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

ukmil
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ukmil »

just to clarify, I never made the UKMIL Rods, they were done by Matt Baker. Now, Matt is a current serving RAF technician who has worked, and still does on the R1 flavour, and indeed the Mr2. He knows these inside out, upside down, so as far as I am concerned, he has them spot on. Of course, others will disagree, as with all areas in the thickle world of FSim, there are alliances etc, and I know Brian is well respected here. His nimrods are very good, and are nice indeed, I will never knock them, nor any of his work, as he is a master, like our Rick, and DM. I am way off his standard, and i think Matt will agree he is too, but the UKMIL models, are I believe a very accurate true representative model, created by a dedicated guys who works with the beasts daily.

These conversations always bring me back to the time when the IRIS crew tried to tell me how a Tornado worked, and called me a Liar when i told them the Wingsweep was NOT automatic, but a manual system. They would rather believe a guy who saw them from the fence, and on various aviation photo websites.

Ok, after all of this, i hope you all respect me enough to have had my say aboove, in an adult fashion, so this does not turn into a slagging match, as it does on many other FS forums. WE are all grown up, and can enter into a discussion about things, when we know, we will always defend our own.

regards fellas

DC :thumbsup:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yep DC, I'm all for folk having a go, and its a bloody good go to be honest, but jet pipes that curve and intakes that are more akin to the MR4 in my mind make it nearly but not quite for me, but thats the beauty of flight sim each person sees something different in it. I think because I fly DM's comet from time to time these differences are very obvious to me, but as I said, fair play to Matt :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Sri DC.. I often use you as the 'Royal' when it comes to things UKMIL so when I said you made your own, that is/was you had one made or someone made one for you which is one and the same as it came under the UKMIL logo ;) I was aware that it was Matt who'd actually made the model :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone was saying anything bad about the UKMIL Nimrods mate and I was at pains to point out just what you get with the UKMIL models. ;) In this particular conversation, it's more a case of when is a wheel a wheel. Some are nice and round from a distance, some are nice and round close up and they're both wheels. It doesn't really matter which one is a better representation unless you spend your time looking at wheels close-up as they both do the same thing and most of us DON'T spend our time looking at them close-up :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Matt_UKMIL
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Matt_UKMIL »

Ben Watson wrote:but jet pipes that curve
The Jet pipes are perfectly straight, on the aircraft they do not follow the contours of the fairing

But looking at this image, is that not a curve?