Westland Welkin

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Harry Basset
Victor
Victor

Westland Welkin

Post by Harry Basset »

New on Flightsim is a Westland Welkin by J R Lucariny. westwelk.zip It has Cessna 182 sounds and a panel based on an F4F Wildcat so only single engine instrumentation. I will look at a Whirlwind panel intended to replace that for the Whirlwind by Kazunori Ito. This should have two sets of watercooled engine instruments. The aircraft looks OK but strangely for a high altitude interceptor it has underwing bombs.

steve p
Victor
Victor

Re: Westland Welkin

Post by steve p »

The Welkin had mounting points on the wings for external fuel tanks so i suppose mounting bombs might have been possible but AFAIK bombs were never carried. Certainly the Welkin F.1 AP makes no mention of them.

There was talk of a fighter bomber version of the Welkin with a new wing to replace the Mosquito but this never materialised. A bit of a shame really, because the Welkin had a more powerful armament, better range, and could carry a heavier load than the FB mossies. The need to replace the mossie came about because it was thought that de Havilland would lose most of their woodworkers at the end of the war

i was working on a model of the Welkin for FS.X a long time ago but the file got corrupted. I should really start again.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Westland Welkin

Post by AndyG »

Harry Basset wrote:New on Flightsim is a Westland Welkin by J R Lucariny. westwelk.zip It has Cessna 182 sounds and a panel based on an F4F Wildcat so only single engine instrumentation. I will look at a Whirlwind panel intended to replace that for the Whirlwind by Kazunori Ito. This should have two sets of watercooled engine instruments. The aircraft looks OK but strangely for a high altitude interceptor it has underwing bombs.
Easy enough to deal with, just "alpha out" the texture using DXTBMP, removes the bombs like a dream!