Spin Myths...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Spin Myths...

Post by petermcleland »

I found this article and video interesting:-

http://www.aopa.org/training/articles/2 ... spins.html

Note...I'm a member of AOPA but I logged out and then checked that viewing this from the above URL did not require me to log in...So I hope it is not for members only but you never know what cookies do!

Let me know if it is not viewable and I will remove it :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Spin Myths...

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Peter

Will read later but checked and I can see it fine :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link

ATB
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thanks Gary :)

Prop Jockey
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Prop Jockey »

Thanks Peter

Interesting read - You can't beat a good spin - just as long as you've read the POH and know what you're doing :thumbsup:

Cheers

Rich

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Finagin's theory of spin recovery is all very well if the aeroplane is one that effectively flies itself out of the spin if you just let go of the controls i.e. if the type is one which has inherent stability in yaw and effectively has to be held into a spin . IMHO it is much less certain to work in those cases where the a/c is unstable in yaw and/or has a high wing loading and/or tends to flatten . Classic examples amongst light a/c of the latter were the Chipmunk ( both before and after the anti-spin strakes were fitted) and, particularly lethally, the Grumann singles . Another interesting a/c was the C150 which in a premeditated spin fell into the self-recovery category, going into a spiral dive as soon as back pressure was released , but which could be quite challenging if an inadvertent spin resulted from a stall off a climbing turn, which we taught ad nauseam because at random intervals the inside wing of the turn went down, and positive spin recovery techniques were then mandatory. Perhaps the other point to make is that Finagin merely deals with a developed spin. What really must be taught is the techniques for preventing an incipient spin from developing into an actual one, and this requires positive control, and not merely holding ones hands in the air and hoping for the best which , without being Zenophobic , sadly is an all too common American approach to flying

Tomb
Comet
Comet

Post by Tomb »

i remember way back when i was doing spin training the standard recovery technique changed during the incipent stage

previously it was [first] full opposite rudder and then [second] ease the stick forward until the spin stops

part way through this changed to [first]promptly move the stick forward and then [second] if reqd apply opposite rudder

this came about because students were sometimes kicking the rudder and prompting a spin in the opposite direction and then holding in in the spin with now in spin rudder

pushing the stick forward first gave instanst recovery without the drama.

if you think about it a spin is one wing stalled with yaw present if you unstall both wings you wont spin, this can be achieved with prompt stick forward.

these leads me to the next thing

not much discussed but from the cockpit can look like a spin

autorotation

this is one wing stalled with no yaw present

how do you tell autoration from a spin....

the slip ball is at or near center in autorotation...