First fatal C-17 crash

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

First fatal C-17 crash

Post by J0hn »

hard to imagine the mess one of these crashing would make. Unfortunately 4 crew killed. LINKY

Crashed at Elmendorf - I do a lot of flying from there in FSX, and use it regularly as an Air Hauler base. It's very nice with add-on scenery and UTX Alaska. With UT2, it's usually full of FedEx and UPS MD-11s, though. I think TrafficX combi pack put a few C-17s there.

Funny that - I also often use Kasteli as an AH base in FSX - and the Red Arrows had their latest coming together there as well (cue startup X-Files music... :S ).

J.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: First fatal C-17 crash

Post by Garry Russell »

Very sad and my thoughts to the familes........but the first fatal crash in all those years for a military aerolpne is a very good record
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

How awful. I think the C-17 is such a fine aircraft, and I wonder what went wrong.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Paul

As they were preparing for an airshow.....I think its a fair assumption that the crew out performed the aircraft -- much as a certain USAG officer did with a B52 several years ago.

Leif

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DispatchDragon wrote:Paul

As they were preparing for an airshow.....I think its a fair assumption that the crew out performed the aircraft -- much as a certain USAG officer did with a B52 several years ago.

Leif
Yep Leif, the mention of an airshow brought that B-52 accident to my mind too. :(

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

One major difference - THESE GUYS WEREN'T PROBLEM "CHILDREN".

They were some of the best and most highly respected crew members in the C-17 community. So, before you go disparaging their memories so fast before even the wreckage has cooled off, why don't you wait to see what really happened?

Sorry, but I have several acquaintances who are C-17 and/or C-130 crew (those communities are very tight with each other and have a lot of cross pollination) and right now they're pretty devastated about this crash. I find it very irresponsible for you especially Leif to make such a cavalier statement at a time like this, especially making insinuations like yours without any background to support it at all.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Chris - WTF are you talking about?

Nigel²

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

right on cuz

wtf - over

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Nigel, I'm on about Leif and Paul's attempts to link this accident to the crash of a B-52 at Fairchild AFB, WA, while practicing for an airshow where the pilot, a known "problem child", maneuvered the aircraft well outside it's operating envelope and crashed, killing all aboard.

Articles on the Crash and Holland (the "Problem Child")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairc ... B-52_crash
http://www.crm-devel.org/resources/pape ... rkblue.htm

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Yeah, the B-52 crash is used on various courses in the UK to demonstrate CRM and behavioral problems that can lead to accidents if not stopped, sooner rather than later. The operating pilot was known to be reckless and regularly broke the rules, not just in the aircraft but on the ground as well. To compare that accident to another without knowing the full facts is disparaging to the crew.

The fact is airshow flying has a higher accident rate and that includes rehearsals, but it doesn't preclude the chance of mechanical failure either.