The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

brandsman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

FSX Hunters invisible!

Post by brandsman »

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and amazed at the Hunters (and other aircraft, but I'm a Hunter nut) on the site, an amazing job. As a current Hunter pilot (F 58 and T 68) I was really delighted to find Dave Garwood's work. Thanks! I went out and bought FSX and downloaded the Hunters and loaded them, but I have clearly done something wrong because when I select a Hunter (any of them) i get a picture of the pilot or pilots sitting in space with the various lights in the right positions but no aircraft. Try to fly them and there's no cockpit or instrument view. Unfortunately I am a total beginner and I apologise if this is a dumb post, but I was hoping someone could tell me where I am going wrong?! :((

Regards
Ron

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: FSX Hunters invisible!

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ron and Welcome :hello:

An odd one but one that might have an obvious answer. Did you download the FSX Hunters?? I know this is too obvious but there ARE 2 sets of Hunters out there.. one for FS9 and the other for FSX. Also, what OS are you using? I gather Win7 has a habit of putting things where it wants rather than where they should go!

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Hi Ron, :hello:

Think I know the problem here. I assume you've just bought the "basic" FSX, not the "gold" edition that contains the Acceleration add-on pack. If that's the case, you'll need to download and install the 2 service packs for FSX (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... AAE2F0409E and http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... 41A3E27FF0)

The Hunters use high resolution textures which were not supported by the original release of FSX, but was added with the updates.

Hope this helps, and you enjoy flying my Hunters :fly:
Dave G.

brandsman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by brandsman »

Hi Dave,

I think you hit the nail right on the head. It IS the basic edition I bought! I'll try the download and see what that does. If you want any info of any sort on the Swiss Hunters, I have it all and I'd be very happy to share.
Thanks DaveB also for your suggestion - I did get the FSX ones though, so I think this is probably right. I'll try it and let you know.
Regards
Ron

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ron..

No prob mate. FSX has been out so long now, you kinda expect everyone to either have the standard edition patched with SP1 and Accel or SP1 and SP2 (no Accel) or the Gold edition which comes fixed straight out of the box with all the bells and whistles :)

A quick note while you're here..
If you later buy FSX Accel, you MUST uninstall SP2 before you install Accel. SP1 can remain in place but SP2 has to go as it comes hard coded into ACC :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

brandsman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by brandsman »

Thanks for the heads up DaveB. The first download "SP1" fixed the Hunter invisibility :excited: , which was great, but seems to do strange things if one leaves the window open, the tailplane was hanging off the midsection of the T 68 last night! I'm downlaoding SP2 now which may fix that. I notice that the F 58 and T 68 have British gauges and cockpit configuration rather than the Swiss configuration - not a biggie of course - but the gauges used in the real Swiss aircraft are much easier to read, especially engine rpm and speed. The Swiss aircraft are marked in kilometers and meters and have green, white, orange and red markings for critical speeds, rpm and temps. Another difference is the use of 150 gallon (675 litre) drop tanks on the inboard pylons rather than the 230s or 100s ( and Andre Loertie has a configuration with 230 gallon tanks inboard and 150s outboard, which is something special for endurance). I have pictures of all these gauges but not the first clue as to how to go about doing any modifying. If you DaveG would like to make these variants more authentic, I have all the info and would be delighted to share.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Hi Ron,

Glad you've got the visibility sorted. Not sure what's going on with the tailplane, but as you say, SP2 may fix that.

Thanks for the info on the Swiss Hunters. The cockpits are only generic as I didn't have enough info to cover all variants, and many pictures available are of privately operated Hunters which have non-standard upgrades. That's my story anyway, and I'm sticking to it :lol:

I don't plan any updates to the Hunter packs at the moment, I'm afraid.
Dave G.

brandsman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by brandsman »

Hi Dave G and others,

I have just returned from doing my first Hunter air show displays in around six years at Air Force Base Hoedspruit right up north in South Africa - four flights in one weekend and no wallet pain for a change as the air force paid for the fuel. I just wanted to say that the Hunter flight model is so accurate that I was able to work up the display in FSX, including working out gate speeds for each manoeuver and height gain, so that, when I came to do it for real, it worked out perfectly. Great job Dave G.
:rock:
Regards
Brandsman

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

WOW! :-O

Tks for that Brandsman :rock: I won't say anything about us all being envious of you flying the real thing :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

"As real as it gets!" :lol:

Thanks for the endorsement Brandsman, but credit for the flight model should really go to Rick (who did most of the work on the original FM), and Peter McLeland who tweaked it using his experience as an ex-RAF Hunter pilot.
Dave G.