What did I do wrong ?

VA Crew Room and general forum area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petec
Meteor
Meteor

What did I do wrong ?

Post by petec »

I've just flown the Dove from Norwich to Stansted, and the flight went perfectly until I was taxying in at Stansted.

On the way to the stand, I thought my speed was creeping up, so I touched the brakes. As soon as I did that, I got a message "Penalty, parking brake not enabled" and the flight ended with a rating of 95% ..................not a happy chappy :rant:

I've never had that message when using taxy brakes before.
It's better to break ground and fly into the wind, than to break wind and fly into the ground
RAF & Allied Air forces WWII Monument

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: What did I do wrong ?

Post by Chris Trott »

Are you sure you didn't accidentally end the flight at that point? Your parking brakes have to be set to end the flight properly, but you can click the "end flight" button manually and this may give you the penalty when it occurs.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: What did I do wrong ?

Post by DaveB »

Concur with Chris, Pete. I can't see any way you would get a parking brake penalty for 'dabbing' the brakes to slow you down. As CT said, parking brakes have to be applied to end a flight. However, there is another explanation.. were your parking brakes on before you started the flight? They don't have to be on when you activate the client and go 'live'.. eg, hit the fly button but the final 'flight' page will warn if they're not on along with landing lights. You can at this point go back to the sim and put your parking brakes on but you must have remained stationary throughout. I've started a flight before and noticed on the 'fly' page my parking brake has been off so I've gone to the sim.. applied them.. waited a few secs for the client to read the change (confirmed by checking the fly page again) THEN released them and started the roll :)
Unfortunately (though I'm willing to be corrected) I don't think the client will warn of a 'start flight' parking brake penalty from inside the sim until you've landed. I may be wrong but I suspect this is what has happened.

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!