SOH or SOB

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

SOH or SOB

Post by Brian Franklin »

Guys anyone know WTH is going on over at SOH. Mt login details don't work so I tried to re-register obnly to be told that the administrator had banned my email address. I've now tried 4 times to contact them either by email or by thier own feedback form but no answer. Have they become an exclusive club or something? or just plain rude..

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: SOH or SOB

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I don't think they are being rude and unless you have been making inappropriate posts you shouldn't have been banned.

I know a while back there were some problems with ISPs around the world (mostly far eastern and Russian running hack scripts) and a system was put in place to auto-block certain IP addresses and a few people fell foul of that system particularly non-US users.

I'm a moderator on the SOH.net site (that's the online multiplayer forum/MP server not the main SOH.com site) but I can make enquires with the main site mods for you if you like. If you can PM me with your sign-in name, email address and any messages you've been getting back I can see what I can do.
Larry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

We've had it here a couple of times.. in fact, I'VE had it here :lol: Depending on what forum software is active, it's possible for an IP address to end up on a banned list and there's not a lot can be done about it. The IP's change every couple of days so if this IS the problem at SoH.. you should be back again. Odd that you can get in here and not there mind you but I guess that doesn't mean a lot :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Hi Dave, Taki,

Thanks for replying, apologies for sound a little ticked off but I guess I was a little. PM on the way Taki

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No problem mate.. I understand your frustration ;) If the rouge IP 'batch' IS the problem as it was for me, I can tell you first hand I was mighty pee'd off not to be able to get into a forum I'm an admin on :lol: Think it's happened to Trevor too and a handful of others here.

Anyway.. let's hope they're NOT being rude and there's a bonafide explanation :thumbsup:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I've replied to Brian by PM but it may be the fact that he's trying to use a Hotmail email addy as SOH has a blanket ban on Hotmail addresses.
Larry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I know the feeling Larry. I'm suspicious of anything @gmail that comes here as most of our spam is generated from gmail 8) I wouldn't like my hotmail to bounce as I pay for it! ;)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Yeah gmail is a spammer's haven unfortunately. I have seen multiple reports of nasty stuff coming out of the gmail servers.
Larry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

95%+ of the spam we get on the FSAirlines forums come from "@gmail.com" accounts, however I'm not sure how many are actually coming from those servers. What's more interesting is that 100% come from Chinese IP addresses. We've found and blocked several VERY large blocks of IPs from China because of it.

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Exactly how I feel Dave, I've paid for my hotmail account for about 10 years now as it's so much more reliable than my various ISP mail, somewhat annoyed to see blanket bans put in place.