Is it cold outside?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Is it cold outside?

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

I ended up spending most of last night trying to defrost the Car's washers when I got home so I could get to work safely today 8) . I'd ran out of washer fluid on the way home from ABZ and everything started to freeze up. When I got home, I imediately tried refilling the washerbottle with Halfords Screenwash neat with no water in it, to stop it freezing as much as it had been that morning. Would you believe the stuff actually started to freeze as it hit the washer bottle fillerneck on the car. I could only dribble the stuff in slowly a little at a time. :-O

Eventualy I abandoned the car in the garage for a couple of hours and went back later. By 22:00 the latent heat of the engine in the garage had thawed the pipes just enough to get it topped up. sheesh!

Problem now is the garage floor is like an ice rink as well, because all the ice from the car has melted onto the floor and then had the cheek to freeze again ... :help:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Is it cold outside?

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

We had a poor chap break down in our car park on Saturday. Thru a comedy of errors, the RAC turned up hours later (and I MEAN hours too) and the chap had gone home so they removed him from their callout list 8) Anyway.. his dad brought him back on Sunday morning and we chatted for a couple of minutes in the car park.. waiting once more for the RAC to arrive. The chaps dad took a 1/4 full bottle of screenwash out of the back of his Mini (German variety) and it was frozen solid! It was undiluted too :-O Never seen frozen undiluted screenwash in all my 53years on this planet!

Been warm here today.. 1deg according to the Met Office website :lol:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Finished work at 02.45 one morning last week and spent a good ten minutes clearing ice off the car before driving home - only had 4 miles to travel but the temperature was - 15C Brrrrr!!!! throughout the drive home the engine temp did not get anywhere near normal operating temperature and could not use the heater as was getting cool/cold air coming through. Took me sometime to thaw out when I got home I can tell you. :(

Now the temperatures are near seasonal average -4C so really feels like a mini Indian summer compared to what we previously had.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Ya'll have been getting some crazy weather lately. Yesterday it was 85F here in Dallas...a full 30 degrees above the average. I think this planet's thermostat is on the blink. :dunno:

Brian

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi,

What has really peed me off is the price that home heating oil is now, back in October this year i paid 52pence a litre, i rang last week and got a price of 60 pence for a delivery the second week in January,

Unfortunatly we can't do a dam thing about it and as usual us peasants are being stuffed again in this country of ours, i can't put into words on this forum how i really feel but i think you can guess, still there are a lot of people worse off but being a GOF i do like to keep warm in the winter. :lol:

Thanks Brian, that makes me feel a whole lot better ;) [only joking]

Cheers,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

What has really peed me off is the price that home heating oil is now
I think it's called supply and demand, I bet if you buy it in August it's even cheaper...

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Sadly no different than the utility companies, they reduce their prices when it is summer then increase them for winter knowing full well that is when they are going to profit greatly from us mere mortals....!! :rant:

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I think that's how Mr Branson managed to show a profit this year (or not a resounding loss) when many others showed a loss. Virgins figures were based on fuel prices for bulk fuel he bought 2 years ago :)

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

austerdriver

Post by austerdriver »

Quite humid here. Would rather have the cold any day.

Tonks
The Ministry

Post by Tonks »

What really gets me wild is the idiots that don't clear their cars!!!! To difficult to clear windows, lights and the roof of snow... it takes 5 minutes!!!!!! I think some folks don't realise what will happen thE the snow on the roof if they have to brake; it'll end up on the windscreen!!! Still at least they won't see he accident they cause :rant: :rant:

Tonks :wall: :thumbsup:
It's NOT real!!!!!