Domine

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Domine

Post by Garry Russell »

Apparently the type is due to retire at the end of this month???

Any details, maybe it's been reported but so much has gone on , if it has I missed it

Was due for 2015 I think *-)

The Dec last year and then extended until early this year :dunno:

All the Hercules C1K are due to go soon too :(
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Domine

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Garry Russell wrote:Apparently the type is due to retire at the end of this month???

Any details, maybe it's been reported but so much has gone on , if it has I missed it

Was due for 2015 I think *-)
I think the Dominie's been one of the indirect victims of SDSR. The C-130K's soon going, and the VC10 will follow suit soon after (and I don't think we're expecting any new navs, certainly not ab-initio, here in the mean time). F3 navs will go to the GR4 eventually, or maybe Sentry. To top it all, there are now a fleet's worth of navs looking for jobs with the withdrawal (right or wrong) of the Nimrod.

In short, I don't think there's any need to train any new WSOs in the short term, and I suspect any need for 55(R)Sqn in training other rear-crew trades (if there is any) in the meantime will be fulfilled by other means (RAF, or maybe even the RN King Airs perhaps?)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

So basically it was due to go on a bit but more recent events simply means the type is now out of a job *-)

They have certainly got their monies worth over all these years :) ......not sure of the exact date but about the same time as the VC 10 C1
Garry

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

1965 - so one year earlier than the VC10 C.1. Must be the only 'early' version of the HS.125 still flying....Wasn't the original version (or prototype) shorter?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Very sad to hear of this impending retirement of the Dominie - had 2 flights in them when at Stradishall on day and night sorties, lovely a/c.

Hey Garry....thought you were a lot older than that in your avatar.....!! :hide:

Regards
Nigel.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol:

Older and hairier
Garry

AlexP
Trident
Trident

Post by AlexP »

The base wide e-mail sent out at Cranwell this week stated that the final Domine flights would be this week with a disbandment flypast this Thursday (20-Jan-11). :((

I’ll certainly miss seeing the Dominies flying past my office window, especially as its an aircraft whose roots can be traced back to de Havilland.

Fingers crossed for some making it into preservation. I particularly hope one finds it’s way to Newark. It would also be great to see a live one at Bruntingthorpe, but I’ve probably got my head in the clouds at this point.

Alex

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Sorry to see her go, I had some enjoyable rides at Finningley, years ago :'( .

I think that most navs in the RAF are going to get their hands dirty, flying shotgun at the back of a wokka soon! I have a feeling they may not like it! Still, it was a good career option.....about 30 years ago!
And as for AEOp's, how many will we need to man the Sentry? Looks like many of them will find themselves dangling on an SAR winch (where a lot have already gone), not really what they signed on for, as I am sure they chose not to follow the ALM route at the start!
ATB Trev

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Trev Clark wrote: I think that most navs in the RAF are going to get their hands dirty, flying shotgun at the back of a wokka soon! I have a feeling they may not like it! Still, it was a good career option.....about 30 years ago!
That or serving tea to 250 troops in an A330! :lol:

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Careful! :lol:
You still need them for a year or two yet mate! Although quite what they do nowadays is beyond me.
ATB Trev