Alpine flight in Piper Super Cub

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Alpine flight in Piper Super Cub

Post by TobyV »

Went skiing yesterday near Grindelwald, at least that was the intention. It was only my second attempt and let's just say, it didn't go too well. I gave up shortly after lunch and decided to try something else I had seen during the morning.

First a couple of pictures to set the scene for the location (Männlichen mountain near Grindelwald)

Looking back down towards Grindelwald

The Eiger and the Mönch

The Piper Super Cub HB-PBA

Off we go

I think he said there was a Glacier at the bottom of this one. The pilot was very informative, giving me a commentary about what we were flying over

Both wing struts had a small mirror attached, circular on port, rectangular on the starboard one

Unfortunately don't remember the name of this village. Note the train running on the viaduct that looks like it goes into a tunnel and the cliff face bottom right

Paul, the glacier pilot poitning something out. I was wondering at this point where the exit to the valley was. Couldn't believe that the Piper would be capable of any dramatic climbs!

Paul pointed out the dark blue sky

I was wondering if this is how avalanches start?

The very blue sky again

The mid-afternoon sun

One of those mountain huts for stranded hikers

Kleine Scheidegg

This is more or less the same view as the first photo, just from a bit higher altitude

Low fly-by of the cable car station and the restaurant

Landing uphill after a tight left turn. The "runway" is at about 7375ft by my estimations. There seemed to be some sort of Radio Altimeter fitted as i heard a number of pips and beeps of increasing frequency as we approached the ground. The landing was very smooth though. Much better than plenty of airline pilots manage on a flat paved runway in a larger airliner.

The aircraft after the flight

Another "toy" to try out. Wasn't going to spend any more money. I'd already hired some skiis I hadn't used much!

He comes Paul again after a later flight

Approach sequence:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Alpine flight in Piper Super Cub

Post by petermcleland »

A most interesting set of pictures Toby...Well done and thanks for posting them :)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Stunning shots Toby, I bet that was something else!!
When I saw the helo shot I thought for a sec. :-O Oh No He Din't! :lol:

Thanks for posting those up mate,

..... and thanks for reducing the excitement of my recent flight in a Goose (with two water landings and 100' off the water over the shoreline)
to a mere whoopteefrick'ndoo! ;)

Joe

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Hey Joe,

I've never experienced a water landing, so something else to add to the list for one day!

The landing was certainly impressive as its uphill (for obvious reasons). Less impressive was me being dragged uphill on my back by the ski lift in the practice area earlier in the day. Somehow I got my leg and ski caught over the cable 8)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

brings new meaning to the phrase "leg up"
I trust your ok, all your photos are level.
B)smk

I don't go for that sort of tom foolery.... things strapped to my feet, water skis, snow skis, rolling wheels.

but I have no problem hanging upside down off a rickety ladder 30 feet up to repair a light fixture.
:wasntme:

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Wonderful shots Toby -- In truth the the Super Cub is a little monster being able to go just about anywhere - the scenery is nothing less than breathtaking

Thank you

Leif

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Stunning photos in a stunning location Toby!
I know what you mean about skiing.20years ago while on a fly drive hol in the north western US we passed through the town of Bend in Oregon.It was the very end of the ski season(early June!) and my wife wanted to have a go at it. We had a brief lesson after which I decided that each of my legs going in different directions was not ideal! Meantime 'er indoors had only hopped on a chairlift,disappeared up into the clouds and fog (literally!) and reappeared out of the fog two hours later quite pleased with herself.I dread to think what would have happened if she had injured herself as our insurance did not cover skiing activities! :thumbsup: EricT
ps what camera were you using?
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Hi Eric,

Yes this is more or less my problem. All my friends are quite proficient, but they comprise a mix of Swiss and Southern Germans mostly.

The photos were taken with a Canon EOS350D and 70-300IS MkII. I think that since its 4.5years old, I will upgrade this year, probably to a 7D.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Imagine being able to do this with your SLR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAE_afCyVbU

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Toby,judging by the quality of your photos,I don't think that I would put a camera upgade very high on your list of priorities! :) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!