New Diecast DH89

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

markw
Comet
Comet

New Diecast DH89

Post by markw »

I don't know if any of you have heard but the Oxford Diecast Company are bringing out a 1:72 scale die cast metal Dragon Rapide this year, in BEA and King's Flight colours.

Should save me a lot of hassle having to make up my old Heller kit for the model aerodrome at Warmington on Sea (Beach) station!

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/ebooks/trade12011/

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: New Diecast DH89

Post by DaveB »

Ee-Gads Mark.. I knew I was destined to be skint for the rest of my days but this confirms it :lol: Any idea of prices??

Received this in the post yesterday.. rarer than hens teeth..

A thousand thanks to Garry for giving me the HU :thumbsup: I've had PET (BEAFJ Cargo) on order since last year but I now believe the chances of me getting it are less than winning the lottery. Unbeknown to me when I ordered, it was already out of stock even though the site (boo hiss) Aviation Retail Direct had it advertised as IN STOCK :rant:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Loveley Vanguard :excited:

Love the Oxford period cataloque :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Took a while to find the Rapide but had a very enjoyable time finding it. Lots of goodies in that catalog for sure! :)

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Love the Oxford period cataloque
Yes.. my original 'placement' had her sitting on a piece of Weybridge runway centreline (pulled up before Mercedes took over) but as PEK is wearing BART.. I put her on a BA '83 World Timetable.. the irony being BA had sold all the Vanguards by that time :) 1:400 is too small for flash photography as the depth of field is too small which puts a lot out of focus (for something of this size anyway) but it'll do ;) I like 1:400 models over larger scales because whatever inaccuracies there are are generally so small, you can hardly see them so it doesn't matter as much ;)

Agree Garry/Brian.. that Oxford catalogue is SO full of things I'd like to buy, I need a second job. Wish I had time for the first one! :lol:

Hope the Rapide doesn't come with sky-blue windows! :doh:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

The diecast models of the "mechanical horses" caught my attention. I've never seen anything like those before. Very interesting. :)

Brian

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

Hattons of Liverpool are advertising it for pre-order at £24, which is pretty reasonable.

Oxford Diecast have some truly wonderful stuff, particularly for railway modellers seeking cars to stick in the scenery. I must admit I'm looking forward to the Lomas-bedford J2 ambulance, I always thought if you are going to have a trip to hopsital, the J2 is a nice looking vehicle to do it in although no doubt it rode like a roller skate, so best not a trip to the spinal injuries unit.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Some of those models look like repops of old models

The ships look like Minic *-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Mark :hello:

I'm not quite sure what to expect for £24.. especially at 1:72.. that little Vanguard cost £25 (inc P+P) and that's only 1:400. Would love to see a picture of it first :cpu:

ATB

DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

markw
Comet
Comet

Post by markw »

Garry Russell wrote:Some of those models look like repops of old models

The ships look like Minic *-)
I suspect some of the aircraft are of Chinese Chinese origin as Oxford have a deal to market Cararama cars and I think they do a range of aircraft. However I don't recall ever having seen a 1:72 DH89 previously so I suspect it'll be a new casting, and hopefully will be better than some of the existing models which look a bit clunky. I too am curious as to what it will look like, their cars generally are pretty good though and cheaper than Corgi so at the moment I wouldn't base any expectations on price. Hopefully it'll be close enough to become scenery on one of the new model railways planned for this year!

The ships are the original Minic range but extended with new models. There are quite a few collectors of the Minic ships range, and a short-lived relaunch in the late 80s generated a lot of new interest. Apparently the new range of Triang-Minic ships were launched in 2003 by an enthusiast and Oxford are marketing them.