Skin Cancer - I've got the 'All Clear'

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Skin Cancer - I've got the 'All Clear'

Post by VC10 »

Sorry to bring up a damper on this normally light hearted forum.

Today I got the all clear following surgery after being diagnosed with Skin Cancer just before Christmas :excited:

Now the point of this post is to highlight the risk of Skin Cancer. I consider myself very fortunate in having it diagnosed so early. The melanoma was on my back, above my shoulder blade and it was only because I was being treated for something else, sun damage related, that the dodgy mole was seen. If it hadn't been for that fact who knows when the melanoma and at what stage it would have been identified. My Melanoma was .73 mm thick, they start getting serious when they exceed 1mm thick. The consultant who saw the mole was himself in two minds as to whether it was worth removing or not, it was only because I said remove it, it was done.

As to my sunbathing history, I used to do it during my teens and early 20's but I have never done it since apart taking my shirt off when working in the garden or on the car on a sunny day. I think like most people I thought I wouldn't get it but I did so all I can say is it may happen to you. So if you get an itchy mole or one that bleeds and or one that changes colour (get your other half to check your back) see your doctor. I think my doctor thought mine had changed colour

A couple of useful sites

http://www.sunsmart.org.uk/
http://www.skincancer.org/ - US site

Anyway, lecture over.

Paul
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Skin Cancer - I've got the 'All Clear'

Post by Garry Russell »

Brilliant news Paul. :excited:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

You made it light hearted even though the subject is far from that. Congrats on the all-clear :thumbsup:

SWMBO noticed an 'odd' looking mole on my back some years ago and packed me off to the doc. Fortunately, it wasn't a melanoma but something that looked like one (I think the doc said it was a reversed pore or something like that). Anyway, I didn't want it so got her to cut it out (freeze.. knife job.. a couple of stitches). It could easily have been something far more nasty so as Paul said, if in doubt.. check it out ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

VC10 wrote:Anyway, lecture over
Not a lecture Paul but good advice...good to hear that the result was positive :thumbsup:

I spent a lot of my childhood and later life living in the tropics and until recently have always been a bit of a sun-worshipper..I struggle with winter :lol:

I've had a couple of non-malignant moles taken off and do worry about the rest...

Good call mate ;)

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by VC10 »

DaveB wrote:# Anyway, I didn't want it so got her to cut it out (freeze.. knife job.. a couple of stitches). It could easily have been something far more nasty so as Paul said, if in doubt.. check it out ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
Although more women are diagnosed with the disease, more men die from it. This suggests that men are either not aware of skin cancer symptoms or are ignoring them and putting off going to see their GP. It’s crucial that people go to their doctor as soon as they notice any unusual changes to their skin or moles – the earlier the cancer is diagnosed the easier it will be to treat.

Paul
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

Blister
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Blister »

:welldone: :cheers:

Must be such a relief for you and your family!

Great to hear some good news!

B
If the good old days were as bad as today - then we are up to our necks in it!

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

This is good news Paul, and good news is always welcome! It is good to be reminded of the dangers involved, it could happen to all of us. A friend of mine had a small mole removed from her face in a similar situation. If you catch it early it's a minor issue but you don't want to be too late.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

VC10 wrote:Sorry to bring up a damper on this normally light hearted forum.

Today I got the all clear following surgery after being diagnosed with Skin Cancer just before Christmas :excited:
A "damper"?? This is great news! :Dance:

Brian

Felixx62
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Felixx62 »

Fantastic news for you and your family. best wishes for the future. Frank. :welldone:

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Fantastic news Paul. Really pleased for you mate. :rock: :welldone:

Sadly, I lost my dad in 2005 to the big C. It was'nt detected and treated in time. :(

These days I can't emphasise enough, how vital early diagnosis is.

I wish you a long and healthy life and may your camels forever hold water. :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image