VIckers Vanguard Merchantman Throttles ?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

JBRoberts
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

VIckers Vanguard Merchantman Throttles ?

Post by JBRoberts »

Hi all...

I've been trying to fly the Vanguard Merchantman and for some reason at idle my throttles flicker pretty badly making it impossible to keep at idle. I don't have this problem on any of the other 4 engine plans which are superb. The Viscount and Argosy go to idle smoothly and stay there.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks...JB

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: VIckers Vanguard Merchantman Throttles ?

Post by DaveB »

Hi JB :)

Is this at ground idle or flight idle and what sim/OS are you using?

Mine are fine at ground idle with the gust locks out but will chatter a bit at flight idle on my current pc for some reason. They never did on the old pc and I've never been able to find out why they do on the new one :dunno:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Likewise :worried: some times it does, sometimes it stops on its own. :S (FS9)
I've hunted high & low through the various technical forums - but found nothing.
Must mean the answer's obvious for me to miss it. :doh:
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Count me in on that last statement too Dave :lol:

When I built this system, it had nowt on it at all except the OS (WinXP SP3) and flightsim 9.1/FSX. After sorting out the settings, I dragged my aircraft off an external drive into the new install and Bob's your uncle.. chattering throttles at F/idle. My FSUIPC was the same version and my settings in it exactly the same as the old pc. Different mobo/cpu/graphics card e t c and SP3 (the old system is still at SP2) but the sim itself is as close to the old install as I can get it but I can't stop the throttles chattering at F/Idle. On the old system, the throttles go smoothly down to fine pitch (red light on gear indicator) giving around 125psi on the torque meter. On the new one, the red light starts to flicker and the throttles chatter (again at flight idle) at around 195psi. I mentioned this to Fraser at the time and he couldn't see any reason why it was happening so after trying for a few days and getting nowhere, I gave up and accepted it was always going to 'act up' on the new pc 8) Even the joystick is the same so it's not that either :dunno:
Wish I could offer something deep and meaningful but I can't I'm afraid *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

As I'm still modelling my way through the Auster range, I've made myself accept that wobbly/chattering throttle levers are the result of the old worn linkages rattling around somewhere in these old classics. :agree:
Cheers
Dave M(oly)
ps - 'the older we get, the dafter we get' - is that deep & meaningful enough ? ;)
Last edited by Molyned on 11 Mar 2011, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

JBRoberts
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by JBRoberts »

Thanks all for the help...the chattering is when I'm on the ground at idle and also when I pull back the throttles to idle when descending etc. I use the CH throttle queadrant with indents for reverse so it happens always when the throttles are pulled back to the ident.

I use Windows XP/SP3 and Fs2004 which has been updated.

Although I loveal all the planes on CBFS I really like the Vanguard for my "heavy" and it flies great when up...just this darn chattering idle problem.
Tks for any help...JB

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

Hi guys, :hello:

I think the problem stems from the combination of various hardware setups versus the xml controlling the flight idle stop. I can't explain why it operated fine on one PC and not on another though :dunno:

The flight idle stop on the simulator is actually slightly variable in terms of % throttle setting. However advancing the throttles only one or two percent above the "chattering " level should stop the conflict between the yoke or game controller setting and the flight idle stop limit enforced by the xml. I can only think that any chattering when on the ground in the ground beta range will be if the throttles are advanced against the gust locks, which prevent movement above taxying power requirements. Disengaging the gust locks would prevent the chattering in this instance.

Hope that helps :worried:

cheers

Fraser

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Fraser,

I got the ground chattering, but your right, only when the gust locks where on and I was trying to advance the throttles, and I hadn't read the manual at that point :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Thanks Fraser :) that's the first logical explanation of the problem I've read. There indeed seems to be a conflict between my outboard throttle quadrant and the xml coded 'part' for the throttle lever. On loading up, when it shakes, the tooltip reads 1% open but a quick poke at the F1 key stops it and sets it to zero.
Need I add, that at the moment all is still - typical of these Fsim problems - they won't perform to order. :)
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

JBRoberts
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by JBRoberts »

Well folks ...I tried again making sure the gust locks are off and still I get the chatter at ground idle and flight idle. I'm using the CH Products throttle quadrant. Does it look like there is any way to fix the chatter on this great plane or am I out of luck ?

Many thanks..JB