de Havilland DH-106 Comet for X-Plane

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

guym-p
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

de Havilland DH-106 Comet for X-Plane

Post by guym-p »

This is a project I've had in development for years. It's something I started purely for my own pleasure, like building an Airfix kit, but it's grown and grown and attracted more and more interest in the X-Plane community. When (eventually) I finish it, it will be payware.

Some of you know about it already; chrisal was kind enough to post links to films I made for YouTube in October 2010. This new topic is to put "Comet" in the heading and keep you up to date.

When I made the films, the Cockpit had largely been finished. More recent work included scrolling animations for radio frequency dials on the overhead panel:

Also for barometric pressure, heading and frequency displays on the main panels:

The entire flight navigator's station (missing from the films) was finished earlier this year:

And the forward galley was finished yesterday:

Next, the passenger compartment. Once I've finished the inside, I intend reworking some of the outside. The difficulty with such a long development period is that the earliest external shapes were made when X-Plane had a limit of 16 sides to a circle. Over 2 years ago, this cap was lifted. Now the only limit is the processing power and VRAM of one's computer, and I need to improve the coarse bits.

A fuller account is here:
http://www.dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/news.html

Guy.
Guy Montagu-Pollock
http://www.dh-aircraft.co.uk

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: de Havilland DH-106 Comet for X-Plane

Post by DaveB »

Oo-er! :-O

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

guym-p
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by guym-p »

I've just posted an update on the passenger cabin, see:
http://www.dh-aircraft.co.uk/news/files ... 65-81.html

It's not finished (passenger warning signs, animation of the hold door and the emissive textures for the illuminated cabin lamps aren't done yet) but since I'm away for the next couple of weeks I thought a work-in-progress update would keep people up to date.

Guy.
Guy Montagu-Pollock

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Hats off to you guy thats a stunning looking model

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Very well done indeed. :excited:

Glad the 16 sided limit has been overcome as that spoiled so many potentially good looking models for xplane and was letting the sim down a bit.

Once you get the rough bits re done it really will be stunning B)smk

I'm amazed that you got it to look as well as you did with the parts that were limited at the time :-O

A few here tinker with Xplane form time to time and this gives a good reason to :welldone:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Stanley130
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Stanley130 »

Great looking model!

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

Blimey!

I am testing the Just Flight FSX Comet 4C (which has a lot of detail inside B-) ), but not that much or quite so good! If that was for MSFS, it would possibly be the among the best models seen so far.....but X-Plane never really did the 'business' for me.
ATB Trev

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Boy oh boy she's a beauty!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian

guym-p
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by guym-p »

Thanks for all your comments. I completely understand that X-Plane doesn't do it for you; MSFS is a more refined piece of software, and it's a new set of keystrokes and idiosyncrasies to learn, aircraft and scenery to find and buy. X-Plane is really coming on, though.

The irony is that if I had been able to run Windows in 2005, I would have bought FS, David Maltby's Comet, and that would have been that. It's been absorbing and rewarding, not least because of new friends I've made. I'm still learning and enjoying myself ...

Guy.
Guy Montagu-Pollock

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

From what I've read, X plane is the more realistic as far as dynamics and actual flying is concerned.

It has, in the past, been let down by the visuals...sort of FS.12 with FS.98 aircraft.

But that is changing rapidly as shown above and although there are slways going to be some stuck in one camp or another, this sort of model certainly makes up for where X plane has been lacking :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."