West Byfleet...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

West Byfleet...

Post by TSR2 »

I recently started a new job and the company have a project in West Byfleet. I was looking on bing maps and noticed this odd building which I think may be demolished now. Anyone any idea what these building are? The old country house looks like it would have been magnificent at one time.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sjpfy1 ... orm=LMLTCC

The buildings I'm curious about are the construction with the crane to the centre left, the office block to the centre upper right and the country house to the right of that again.

Cheers,

Ben.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: West Byfleet...

Post by 511Flyer »

Hi Ben. I think I can help you with this one.

We bought our first house in West Byfleet in 1963. Our three children were all born there, and we spent 20 happy years there before moving to a new house in Woking. We've been married for 51 years now, and after spending many years living in Herefordshire, now live just a few miles from West Byfleet again.

That's enough of us! Back to that building site. It was for many years, the site of the DOAE. Defence Operational Analysis Establishment. Very hush-hush back then, as you can well imagine, with very tight security. If you zoom out on that shot, the small estate of houses in Broadwater Cres, Dodds Cres, and Bucks Close to the south, were married quarters for staff of all the three services who were stationed there.

I've no idea what goes on there now, but it still has a military look to it. Next time I'm passing, I'll see if there's any indication of what may be going on.

The "country house" is called West Hall, and if you Google for it, there is lots of information on it. Some of the prices being asked for those small houses, will make your hair stand on end. They're getting it too!

If there is anything else you think I might be able to help you with in West Byfleet or the surrounding area, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards.

Dennis.
Last edited by 511Flyer on 02 Jun 2011, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Next installment of the story courtesy of my friend Mr. Google :lol: (I can't claim to have any "local" knowledge)

http://www.propertyweek.com/news/south- ... 47.article

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Googlemaps version looks more recent, streetview it too. Looks like the garden has been nicely on the house, maybe its been renovated too.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks Dennis,

Thats really interesting. The company I work for are doing the redevelopment at West Hall, its going to be a luxury care home. The other building facinated me because of its strange layout and substancial looking construction, it almost looked like a mini power station! :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I just do not recognise the area now - my parents were born locally ( father in Pyrford, mother in Woking) & my uncle lived in The Close until his death in 2004. I lived with my Grandmother while my father was in ATA from 1943, until we moved to Camberley in '49. I went to school in Byfleet & travelled in the 50's to Vickers from Camberley, once having a very near miss on Parvis Bridge - one tried to see how fast one could go over it as is was a curve with quite a hump! There was the old mill just alongside where I think one of the Racing car manufacturers were ( memory fade on the name at the moment. ?Lister?). West Hall was back then a military establishment, but as a teenager one didn't worry too much I suppose as to what they did - I think it was theoretical anaysis stuff.
Oh dear........getting very old remembering that far back!
Keith

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Having looked closer Ben, you may have been referring to Broadwater as the country house. West Hall is the large house further east near the M25, and alongside the river Wey.

Parvis bridge was once a nasty little humpback Keith, but has been widened and flattened since the coming of the Motorway.

Dennis.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Dennis, I also note from the map/satellite picture that the Canal has vanished too!
Keith