Son of Rotodyne

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Son of Rotodyne

Post by Paul K »

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Son of Rotodyne

Post by dodger »

Hi Paul,

I can't see the point in spending all that money over six years on a Helecopter program like this one, it has more things to go wrong with it i would think and why change a proven aircraft anyway,

It stikes me that only the super Rich would buy one as a toy rather than be able to make any profit flying it, i'm all in favour new tech's in aviation but i would think these people have obviously got more money and time on their hands they could put to better use,

Like you say in your title,the Rotodyne seemed to be a good idea for inter city travel and that never took off did it, pardon the Pun, :lol:

Just my two P's!

Roger, GOF.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I don't see the paractical use :dunno:

Slower, a lot more expensive and smaller than an aeroplane, more expensive than a helicopter and I can't see it landing in cities due to noise regualtions. :dunno:

Like Roger says a play thing for a few but not a cost effecvtive option.

it was nothing like a Rotodyne though that was an autogyro with bleed air powering the rotors via tip jets for landing and take off...it wasn't a helicopter with wings which is basically all this is. *-)

Still be interesting to watch it and see what happens :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

hmm cant see this working as well as say the tiltrotors like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell/Agusta_BA609

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Chris Sykes wrote:hmm cant see this working as well as say the tiltrotors like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell/Agusta_BA609
My thoughts entirely Chris - now that tiltrotor technology is maturing it's surely removed the case for 'traditional' compound helicopters?

Jetstreamsky
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Jetstreamsky »

Speed is everything with these designs, the traditional helicopter has limited top speed due to the rotor inability to provide enough lift on the retreating blade as speed builds up, not to mention the less than efficient way of providing the forward thrust. Helicopters with wings and propellers can provide much higher speeds and utilise more of the engine power verses one with a tail rotor that has to sacrifice a significant proportion of power just to maintain directional control. Helicopters with two main rotors either in tandem, coaxial or intermeshing like the k-max can make use of all that engine power for greater lifting capability, but still they are limited at the top end as they still rely on entirely on the rotor for lift. Tilt wings and tiltrotors are far from perfected and date back to the late 40s in one form or another, even the only operational tiltrotor the V22 is not exactly new, just new to service. The Sikorsky X2 may ultimately be the right design, more elegant in concept and not even that new as the idea has flown before. The X3 has the advantage that is can built on to existing airframes, in theory at least, but I'm not so sure how practical it is with the props either side of the cabin which somewhat limits its utility. Ultimately bringing the main rotor to a stop and forming a fixed wing will allow the highest speeds, but they're not quite there yet. Interestingly, the Rotodyne concept improved and was a viable machine, we just lost our faith in yet another British innovation as with so many ideas that Britain generates. I wonder today if a modern version was available how it would be against the V22, that would be an interesting match. The idea ta least is still alive, see http://www.groenbros.com/gyrodyne_tech.php

Also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-84 for some history on the Canadair Dynavert, I've seen movie of this aircraft and it really performs well even with guns, landing on a US warship and on the Whitehouse lawn in a bid for US order, but instead invigorating the US effort.