Landclass, mesh, mesh, landclass...

Specifically but not exclusively for VA pilots.. details of recommended addon scenery that cover VA destinations.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Landclass, mesh, mesh, landclass...

Post by DavidK »

Hi all,

Never been confident about the relationship between these -- and, having just been casting about the Web for more enlightenment, I now feel less confident!
So, which is more particular -- i.e. which should, if I've understood correctly, appear earlier than the other in an FS9/FSX Scenery Library list -- mesh or landclass?
My sense is that it's landclass on top of mesh, i.e. landclass earlier than mesh..?

David

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Landclass, mesh, mesh, landclass...

Post by petermcleland »

The best place for ALL mesh is here:-

X:\.....................\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\World\scenery

That means it is looked at and set BEFORE all your addon landclasses and sceneries, so just put them all there and forget them.

As to the Scenery/Landclass issue...Always INSTALL the Landclass FIRST then the Scenery. So in the Scenery.cfg file the two entries will look like this:-

[Area.207]
Title=CYYJ Landclass
Layer=207
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Addon Scenery\CYYJ (2007)\CYYJ Landclass
Remote=

[Area.208]
Title=CYYJ
Layer=208
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Addon Scenery\CYYJ (2007)\CYYJ
Remote=

Of course, in the Scenery Library they will appear in the OPPOSITE order with the Landclass underneath the Scenery.

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Post by DavidK »

Thanks, Peter -- I read that order of priority as:

mesh
then landclasses
then specific sceneries (e.g. airports)

...so will reorganise my Scenery Library list accordingly.
Does anyone disagree with this order?

David

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No.. Peter is bang on the mark ;) Think of it as the order of how its built. The ground comes first (mesh) followed by the landclass which sits on top and finally your scenery which sits on top of that :) With your mesh in Scenery\world\scenery, it is as Peter says, fire and forget. You would next install the LC followed by the scenery.. the scenery having the higher priority.. the final part of the jigsaw. Don't get confused with numbers as viewed in the scenery.cfg. The landclass as Peter shows will have a lower number than the scenery installed after it but when you look 'in sim' in scenery\settings, the scenery will have a lower number (a higher priority).

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

In addition with regards the scenery library I always use this useful webpage if I ever forget - http://www.bristolflightsimgroup.org.uk ... pic=1742.0

DavidK
Victor
Victor

Post by DavidK »

Thanks, Dave and Darren, for the feedback and link.

After reading it, it seems to me that everything after mesh, landclass and airport scenery should be ordered by relative size, from smallest to largest/widest, i.e. according to how much of anything below it might overwrite. So, the following expanded ordering is based on the kinds of sceneries I've seen on offer:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Addon Scenery" folder
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mesh
Landclasses
Airports
Landmarks .... (single buildings/structures)
Settlements ... (groups of buildings)
Regions ........ (sceneries for wider areas)
Countries ...... (sceneries covering entire countries)
Default places/regions (i.e. in FSX, Las Vegas through to Africa)
* Propeller Objects
* Global, Generic and Vehicle Libraries
Default base areas (in FSX, 1107 to 0000)
Default Scenery
Default Terrain

* I'm intrigued to see that Myk Varder, the author of the post linked by Darren, places the "Propeller Objects" and "Global, Generic and Vehicle Libraries" this low in the order; presumably, though, that's because they aren't disabled ("overwritten") by anything above -- unless replacement propellers/vehicles/etc are placed in the "Addon Scenery" folder..?

Any further comment/confirmation/correction welcome,
David