Rating of downloadable files. Votes.

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Rating of downloadable files. Votes.

Post by Airspeed »

G'day All,
Tried posting this before, but it timed out....
I was placing my 4 star vote for the Dove when I noticed so few votes, compared to the number of views, and worse still, the low ratings.
Could I suggest that if folks want to criticise, then they be required to give reasons or constructive advice. I think that the authors deserve better for the countless hours they spend on our behalf.
Let's appreciate the stalwarts slaving in the hangars and factories. Cheers from (today) a VERY windy Central Victoria, Mike

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Rating of downloadable files. Votes.

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Mike :hello:

Welcome aboard :)

What's the problem??????

No one is critcising the Dove?...where is that happening?

If you mean the ratings when you click on the file I guess it's because most people are like me and never bother with that and never will

You'd be rating a file you've not yet seen.

You seem to be creating a problem that doesn't exist *-) :dunno:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I've deleted your repeat post

You're a new member so your posts have to be approved....please give us a chance to do that

Thanks ;)
Garry

steelsporran
VC10
VC10

Post by steelsporran »

Garry Russell wrote: If you mean the ratings when you click on the file I guess it's because most people are like me and never bother with that and never will
You'd be rating a file you've not yet seen.
I don't bother either, in fact I would suggest that there shouldn't be a rating system so that no one is left feeling aggrieved, for whatever reason.
steelsporran

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

One for Ben that..but those sort of things seem pretty standard as it it's a part of the set up.

TBH I don't think anyone takes notice and I still don't see where the lack of developer support and complaints are supposed to be

The Dove was well received and supported here by a lot of very grateful member and TBH I'm a little pained for it to be suggested otherwise.
Garry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Looks like I poked a stick in the ants' nest!
Here's my angle: It appears that there have been 661 downloads, for which 4 users bothered to vote, one of whom rated it "fair". If something is there, it's usually there for a reason, so I read it, take notice of it, and act accordingly. Too many people skim through messages without digesting the content. I did not think that I was creating a problem that did not exist. Failure to communicate, and lack of understanding is the basis for a lot of trouble in the World. Hope you don't mind if I continue to give credit where it's due. I have built aircraft using Aircraft Factory and FSDS2.24, and despite my best efforts, I've never managed anything worth uploading, hence my admiration for those who do such magnificent work.
[BTW the reason I re-posted was that the wind cut our power during "submit", and when it was restored, I thought the original was lost.]
Thanks for reading, cheers, Mike

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Mike

There have been a lot more downloads than that :lol:

The library was create years after the Dove was released and there was a server problem a while ago and things got reset
My post count dropped my nearly five thousand :-O and all the downloads went to zero

I still discount the ratings as they could have been clicked by accident and as I said before you can't rate anything you've not yet used,

It's not a requirement to vote so it's not a case of only four people bothered to vote

It's just wrong to conclude anything from that. :lol:
Garry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

Interesting thread, even though I haven't got the faintest idea of what you are all talking about :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Com'on Dan :-O

Does anyone ever?? :rofl:

8)

If you look at the file library downloads there is a ratings like those you see under some sites screenshots

Too much can be read into them :worried:
Garry

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I have been around these quarters for so long time, and I just realised that today :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: there you go.... 8) (oh my! I apparently registered before even you Garry ....7 years ago in December.... how time flies)

Never had too much trust in them so called "statistics" as a number of variables can and will influence upon them and give a complete random "truth" ....

So my advise to AS, is exactly the same as yours Garry.... leave the statistics be.... they are as useful as a bicycle at sea. I bet not even the original authors either know of them or even less cares about them.

:lol:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?