Double Lighthouse at Longship

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blaunarwal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Double Lighthouse at Longship

Post by blaunarwal »

Hi fellow Pilots

I installed Earthsims freeware Bishop Rock (Longship) Lighthouse and found, there is already one. Since there are a lot of 3rd party sceneries on my installation, can somebody tell my if there's a file putting lighthouses all over UK or part of it like the one you can see on the pic?
I allready tried searching for bgl files with lighthouse. I have my files sorted per country or region. But maybe this file was installed in a main scenery directory. It's almost impossible to find without a clue. Or has somebody a good method searching certain files causing problems?

thanks for your help

Dan
Last edited by blaunarwal on 06 Jan 2012, 08:18, edited 2 times in total.
My Rig: i960 3.2-3.5, 16GB DDR3/1600, X58 Extreme, SATA II 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint RAID, 2x80GB Intel SSD RAID, Asus HD 6950 DirectCU II 2GB, Win7/64
Bring back Microsoft Flight Simulator series/Reopen ACES Studioshttp://tinyurl.com/86y43ug

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Double Lighthouse at Bishop Rock

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dan..

These tend to install onto C drive in the ES folder by default. I don't know of a UK-wide lighthouse set I'm afraid though there are sets available for oil refineries/farms e t c.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

blaunarwal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by blaunarwal »

Hi Dave

The earthsim version is wanted, the other (red and white with light beams) not.

Yes I have the refineries etc. also Lighthouses but in Norway :wall:

Hope there's somebody out there knowing more than we. *-)

Could it even be standard scenery?
My Rig: i960 3.2-3.5, 16GB DDR3/1600, X58 Extreme, SATA II 2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint RAID, 2x80GB Intel SSD RAID, Asus HD 6950 DirectCU II 2GB, Win7/64
Bring back Microsoft Flight Simulator series/Reopen ACES Studioshttp://tinyurl.com/86y43ug

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dan..

There's a lightobj.bgl in FSX/Addon Scenery/Scenery but I'm not sure where this came from or indeed.. what it does *-) Mine is dated 6/11/2008 which sounds rather old doesn't it :dunno: I have longships, wolf rock and the needles. Do you have ES Scillies installed as Bishop Rock probably came with that. The other one may be default but having had a quick look, it's not making itself obvious.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Nick Ryall did some scenery for SW England which was available from the VFR site. Is it part of that?

D.

blaunarwal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by blaunarwal »

The lightobj.bgl is part of many freeware sceneries on my system, probably a library. Though I couldn't find out what's in it. If I imported it with Whisplacer it didn't show any object. But then I had the idea to make a small bgl with an exclusion rectangle over it. So now there's only the earth sim tower. Only the land patches didn't go away. I suspect ultimate terrain X Europe may be the source of these.

Where's that VFR site and what's the name of the zip file?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I've just had a look around the internet and have checked on a default install of FSX. I can't find ES Bishop's Rock 'freeware' and there isn't one on the default install. The ES version which comes with the Scillies doesn't look like that on my ES install :dunno: Not sure what's going on *-) Nick Ryall's were for FS9 and were payware. Not sure if they still are :dunno:

This is how the real one looks and the ES version looks the same.. note the lack of huge rocks as seen in your screenie.. http://www.wayfaring.info/2009/09/23/di ... st-island/

I know this might sound odd but are you sure it's Bishop's Rock you've got and not one of the others.. Longships for example?

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

blaunarwal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by blaunarwal »

uh, that's maybe my lack of geography in this area. I thought the longship tower is on Bishop Rock, because this is off Land's End. Do you have two towers like this in SW England? :$

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dan :)

Not to worry mate. There are 3 'major' lighthouses around this part of the world. Longships and Wolf Rock are off Cornwall and Bishop's Rock is off the Scilly Isles.. all comparatively close in the grand scale of things but not of course, the same. On a good day, you can see Longships and Wolf Rock from Lands End (it doesn't have to be too bad for them to disappear!!) but Bishop's Rock is much further out SW of the Isles of Scilly. It's an easy mistake to make.. you get none for miles and 3 in a relatively close proximity! ;)

EDIT.. Here you go Dan.. http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthous ... index.html . Scroll down to Cornwall then zoom in.. keeping the Isles of Scilly and Lands End in view. Hover your mouse over the lighthouses to show which ones are which ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

blaunarwal
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Double Lighthouse at Longship

Post by blaunarwal »

Hi Dave

That's a very good site to look at the various lighthouses. Now I understand, Bishop Rock is far more west. On my pictures you could still see the mainland :hello: . It takes a while to fly out to St. Mary's and then furter to Bishop Rock which is in my FSX installation not present. Maybe I gonna try this Earthsim scenery of the Scilly Islands. Looks really nice there. But I allready spoiled myself buying lots of stuff around Christmas because of all the sales then. :worried: