A new DH-89?

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Adamski_NZ
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

A new DH-89?

Post by Adamski_NZ »

Virgin post here, so be gentle! ;)

Firstly - a big HELLO!! from way down here in NZ!!

I've been "flying" and greatly enjoying Dave's stunning DH-89 (that I remember from childhood - at Leeds-Bradford/Yeadon) ... and created my first full-blown repaint for it (ZK-AKU/NZ528). Here's a link to the thread on NZFF all about it:

http://nzff.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=3870&st=456

Somebody hinted that DG may be working on a new/revised model. Is that so? Could anyone confirm or deny that rumour? :lol:

Naturally, I'd be delighted to have a brand new DH-89 in my hangar - even if it means re-working my old repaint. There are a few DH-89s here in NZ (I think) - and even a beautiful Dragon (DH-84). I'm not sure I could re-paint that one, as I think its substantially different to the 89.

Adam.
Last edited by Adamski_NZ on 19 Feb 2012, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: A new DH-89?

Post by DaveG »

Hello Adam, and welcome :hello:

Yes, the rumours are true, I am working on an update to the Rapide. Most parts have been extensively reworked for better detail and accuracy. You will need to rework your textures, the mapping on the fuselage and wings remains pretty much the same, except the wing ribbing is now fully modelled, rather than just textures. The mapping on the engines is totaly new to allow for better texturing.
The VC and cabin have been 95% rebuilt from scratch.
There is still much to do, so I'm not going to give any release dates at this time, but I hope it will be worth the wait. :)
Dave G.

Adamski_NZ
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Adamski_NZ »

Thanks for the welcome, Dave - and great news that you're working on a new version. There's plenty to enjoy with the "old" one - so no rush!! I bet you're wishing you're re-doing a Hunter instead ... I mean, you have double the wings ... all sorts of wires, spats, struts ....

Some people may get hung up on the accuracy of individual gauges - but for me, it's often an undefinable "feels right" thing. More than likely, it's to do with a realistic flight model (how would I know, :lol:) .. but your Rapide certainly behaves as I would *imagine* a real one would. Considering I've looped and barrel-rolled [expensive] payware aircraft that should do no such thing ...

There you go - I've just become a fully paid up DG fanboi! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

:lol: :lol: At least the Rapide is simple system-wise.

Most existing Rapides have had their panels modified to suit individual requirements, so mine is very much a generic panel, although heavily based on G-AIDL, which was used as the base for the original 2D panel by Dave Booker, and also the VC panel.
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

A welcome from me too Adam :thumbsup: Always nice to have Rapide fans onboard ;)

If you want to add a little more excitement, try flying the Rapide at or around it's MAUW with real weather turned on then cut one of the engines to simulate a failure. Make sure you have a reasonable amount of altitude before you try it though :-O The old girl will fly in any direction you desire as long as it's down :lol:
I had this happen with the FS9 model on a VA flight (the failure was VA induced) and I don't believe I've worked so hard in my life!! Fortunately, it was a local flight between 2 of the Channel Islands and I was comparatively light :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Sneeky peak at the updated VC, don't tell anyone.. :worried:

everything is still WIP, and may be subject to change. Some parts removed for clarity. (Modern radio in the panel is optional ;) )
Dave G.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

:-O Fantastic!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Magnifique! :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:-#

Nice job :thumbsup:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Welcome Adam.

I also flew in the Rapide from Yeadon with Pop Webster driving. Fetched up holding bits of the radio they were playing with.

That VC is looking superb Dave. :thumbsup:

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.