Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by DaveB »

You could well be right mate. I don't remember noticing it before but that doesn't mean to say it wasn't there. An interesting point or couple of points.. when running on the deck, the torque effect (I presume) makes the model run slightly to the right (though this could be down to slightly dinged gear) but in the air.. it seems to have a LH bent.. albeit a slight one. While I'm flying, it's usually almost out of control so none of these things matter :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

I've found that the little rods pull the control surfaces in a more positive manner then pushing them Dave.

That applies to the rudder and the elevators. Think overall it's normal. If the rudder likes to go one way more than the other then just tidy it up and balance it out with the trims on the transmitter.

I've had many a fun time gettin those just right. :lol:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Post by Tarasdad »

I've been into RC airplanes for over 20 years, off and on. Had to take a break for several years due to school and other concern. Got back into it just recently and built the first kit in far too many years:

Carl Goldberg Tiger 60

This is the trainer I started with after my long layoff, an E-flite Apprentice 15e

I have another kit waiting in the wings (Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk) as well as a powered glider (Art Tech Minimoa 2 meter (78")). The engines for the two nitro aircraft are both ones I've had since I first got into the hobby, a Fox .50 BBRC (in the Tiger) and a Saito .80 4-cycle (waiting to go in the Chipmunk). Only thing I had to replace from the "old days" was radio gear as the expense of new batteries, receivers and servos for my old AM and FM sets was as much as getting a new 2.4GHz system. Finally decided on the HiTec Optic 6 2.4 system and have been very pleased with my purchase.

Now if only the wind and my back would get into proper synch I'd actually be able to fly! :wall:

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Post by Tarasdad »

DaveB wrote: One thing I've noticed today.. while doing control surface checks, the rudder (although centering) moves further when LH rudder is applied than when RH rudder is applied. I've tried to get my head around why this is happening but can't. I flew all day with it like that and all it means is that I have a tad more LH authority than RH. Is something buggered do you think? *-) Pinching the rudder control wire wouldn't help as the rudder sits straight.. well straight as something foam will sit straight :lol: It's got me baffled :dunno:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
Dave, I'd take a look at the rudder servo to make sure the control arm is properly centered. It should be 90° to the servo body at neutral stick and the pushrod should connect at a 90­° angle to the arm or you end up with differential movement. This sounds like exactly what is happening. Another possibility is the pushrod is flexing when trying to move the rudder to the right (assuming the rudder control horn is on the left side of the rudder, that is). If that's the case it can be cured by adding supports along the pushrod length to help stiffen it. The las possibility I can think of is that the servo itself isn't providing as much movement in one direction as the other, in which case the only option is to replace the servo.

One part of this hobby I've always loved is the analysis and fixing of issues like these. Really gives you a sense of accomplishment when you find a problem and correct it then see the results of your handiwork in flight.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Barry :hello:

Thanks for that. I looked at the control rod yesterday and it looked a little loose though I'm sure I've not dinged it. I wonder if Eddies comment that the servo on this particular model is stronger in one direction than the other *-) I'll try and get my head around it before my next flight ;)
Took her out again yesterday late afternoon after the rudder repair and it worked great so I'm chuffed with that :) Got some rellies over today so my flying has been curtailed. Fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

I like the look of both those models.. particularly the second which appears to have it's wing secured with elastic bands. Can't say a nose gear model would be good for rough grass (short but not short enough) landings.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Picture of my new model just after completing its first flight :) I lost 2 planes last week and I thought I was doing badly at simming :lol:
Anyhow its a Seagull Zlin 69in span with a 17cc petrol engine
Was shaking like a leaf when Id managed to get it down safely :welldone: :welldone: :welldone:
Dale
Image Image Image

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi VC,

Love that model. And well done. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to say I lost a model last week. The EZ Hawk. Was up at around 1000ft and a fair distance away.

Lost all control. Nothing from the sticks. It soared away over the houses and far away. Landed well away from launch spot.

Crash site has still not been discovered. I really hope it wasn't someones prize potting shed. :hide:

I'm insured with the BMFA just in case. I'd love to know what happened. I definately had no control I always thought 2.4Ghz would never fail me. :((

I put it down to a faulty contact or loose wire. :dunno:

Shame that I've lost her. We had some good times. :'( :'( :'(

Left with two aircraft in my hanger now. The Champ and the Wildcat.

Time for a new Glider/Soarer me thinks. Roll on payday.. :lol: :lol:

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Been over 12 months since a black bin bag job then 2 in a week :wall: First was pilot error I was flying too far out and just got disorientated. Pushed the stick the wrong way and in she went, The other was engine failure 12cc glow with petrol conversion .It had been running just a bit off and between flights i was messing with mixture settings On approach it just died. Our field is bounded with a barbed wire fence Half the plane made it through the other half didnt :(
Cheers
Dale
Image Image Image

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

I don't think I could ever muster up the courage (or finances!) to come over to IC.

Being a newbie I'm more than happy with Li-po's and brushless outrunners.

They seem very powerful and give me plenty of oompfh.

I was sad to see my one go the other day. Especially as it had a nice little 808 camera strapped to it.

Whoever finds it will be able to see the whole sequence of events from launch to impact.

A kind of model NTSB if you like.. :lol: :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Eddie :hello: ...how's the mountain biking going lately :worried: :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."