Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Nige :)

I'm still running it all through my head trying to fathom wtf happened.. it just makes no sense :dunno: Shame as I like the P51 too.. it was great looking model in the air and flew well.. flew well until this morning that is. A new model, different surroundings.. anything can happen but this was an oldish model flying over familiar ground. PFC's all good.. no alarms that something might be wrong and after less than 30secs in the air.. it's diving for the deck :dunno: Maybe the damage won't look so bad after a few hours more and the glue will come out but I doubt it this time :|

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

Sorry to hear about your loss, Dave.

Just wondering if you might have been affected by a CB transmission as you say you were on 27MHz?

Myles

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Myles :hello:

I guess it's possible. I've only ever flown the P51 on 27mhz and can attribute all previous mishaps to my inexperience but this one doesn't make sense. Right turn and a bit of up elevator and it dives for the deck.. no, got me on this one. I'd not have thought there'd have been anyone close enough to where it happened using CB but it can't be ruled out. I've since put the rxer into the ASW28 and will now be very cautious when I take it out next :worried: Had it in the Wildcat just a few days ago and no problems at all flying over exactly the same area but I guess you only need one additional txion 'on freq' to ruin your day :( Pity I'm not a rich mans pup running 2.4gig on everything :|

On the lookout for an ARFT Mustang now as I have all the bits to make one go :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hiya Mate :hello: Sorry about your loss :|
Nothing worse than not knowing what went wrong If the model just took a nose dive by itself I would be suspicious of some sort of interference If it failed to recover from a particular attitude than I would think of sticking surfaces or faulty servo Not to sure of activity on 27mz band of late. Rogue cb'er with 100w burner? more than likely some lad with his r/c car in his back garden
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Would have thought it too early in the morning for a kid with his RC.. they should be at school anyway (though there are a lot of older kids out in the afternoons when they shouldn't be :| ) Darned frustrating!

I've had another look and Mr Glue might be able to have a look at a repair. Fair compression damage though and the wing attachment bit already repaired once has gone again so it might be a case of glue the lot together and hope I never have to disassemble it again. I guess a flying banana is better than no banana at all :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

UPDATE..

The glue has visited :-O While I wouldn't be so bold as to say the Mustang will ever fly again.. it already looks like a Mustang again :worried: Close inspection is NOT advised though :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

What a beautiful morning today. Had the Bix up for 15mins on the old battery.. clear blues and hardly a breath of wind :rock: Put the second batt in expecting a nice 20mins worth.. did PFC's and heard that 'click' again. Once more, the elevator control horn has unstuck. Dag nab it!! :rant: Must get one of the PKZ type with screws and back plate. Don't trust the one that came with it now.
Came back and took the ASW28 up for around 15mins worth of odd flying. Little wind so had to fly on pwr 90% of the time. Had the Mustang radio fitted and all well.
Talking of the Mustang.. it's all glued up and ready to go. I should have taken it out this morning really as conditions are perfect but bottled it plus.. the rxer is in the ASW and I CBA to swap it! :lol:

Hope your field has let go all that water Dale and hope you're getting some air time in too Eddie :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

You'll need to post some pics of your band aid work Dave ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

From half a mile away perhaps :lol:

Actually.. after all it's been through, it still doesn't look as 'rough'n'ready' as the Wildcat :lol: I've just dragged the SCub out and it too has rather obvious lines of adhesive running on either side of the fuse indicating it came off worst during a prang at some point in it's life. Still flies ok though and I've just pulled the 27mhz receiver out of the ASW28 and plopped it into the rather large space inside the fuse. Fingers crossed, it'll get it's first outing in ages in the morning.
An odd setup on the Cub. It is designed to be 3ch (throt, elev and rudder) but Dale modified it to 4ch by giving it ailerons. While the 27mhz receiver is 6ch, the txer that came with it (off the Mustang) is only 3ch so I'm gonna fly the Cub as the Mustang with throt, elev and ailerons.. and hope it works :lol: Worked OK in the Wildcat last week using the same config so the SCub should be ok too ;)

I should really take the Mustang out in the morning (with the original 27mhz radio) as the forecast is good but having stuck it all back together, I don't want to see it in bits again :lol: Winds are showing max 5mph for the morning which means nowt in real money and I prefer a little more with the warbirds so they can be turned into the wind and slowed for landing. I will take a few shots of the Mustang.. tomorrow hopefully, to show the latest repair ;)

Good job Alison has gone to work as I have the SCub, ASW28 and Mustang in the front room now. She'll have a nice surprise when she comes in from work in the morning :worried:

Still need to work up the courage to fit the floats to the SCub. Well.. I don't need the courage to fit them.. just to fly it with them fitted :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Here are some shots of the Mustang repair Ben..

Lack of paint is a consequence of compression damage.

A longer shot showing the extent of the damage to the LH side. See the red line just fwd of the CY.. that red line (a decal) was all that was holding the fuse together at that point. The crack didn't go all the way round thank goodness.

This shot clearly shows the first and second breaks in the fuse. The last one is the widest. I'd pushed the two parts together (the nose section snapped off completely) and the tackiness of the glue appeared to be holding tight while it went off. However, it eased open a tad so I filled what little gap there was with more glue :)

With the wings on, it doesn't look too bad (the wings keep missing any damage apart from the plastic peg at the rear which fits into the rear fuse.. this keeps pulling out!). It's a lovely morning here and I should really take it out again (I keep saying that don't I) :lol: However, the radio is in the SCub which I DID manage to get up this morning. Had to wait over the common for 10-15mins while the mist cleared enough for me not to worry about losing it. I didn't lose it I'm glad to say and the SCub flew fine on the 27mhz setup ;) It would have been a perfect morning to try the floats out.. not a ripple on the canal and zero wind. Unfortunately, mom and dad swan and their 6 signets had other ideas and spread themselves all over the place. Little tinkers :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage