Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DaveB wrote::-O :-O

Deary me HC.. I didn't think the problem was so serious. I'd better not tell SWMBO :worried:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
I suspect it gets bigger the bigger the battery gets! Mine aircraft LiPos are not huge ones, but I put them in a bag all the same and don't leave the house whilst they're charging.

The little LiPo for my indoor helicopter charges in the living room though, and not in a bag! You'd have to get a charging bag big enough to fit the charger in! :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi HC :hello:

I'm a little disappointed that the Champ didn't turn up today.. it should have.. it was 24hr delivery so, I'm not really sure how these batteries charge. The RTF package seems to show 8 x AA type batteries, the small 150mh 3.7v LiPo, a charger, the controller and the aircraft. I've not known a battery charge from an AA powered charger before (though all this is new to me) so I've presumed the 8xAA's are 4 for the controller and 4 for the charger or 4 spare for the controller :dunno:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

DaveB wrote:The RTF package seems to show 8 x AA type batteries, the small 150mh 3.7v LiPo, a charger, the controller and the aircraft. I've not known a battery charge from an AA powered charger before (though all this is new to me) so I've presumed the 8xAA's are 4 for the controller and 4 for the charger or 4 spare for the controller :dunno:
I'm guessing the 8 x AA's are for the TX only, the RX will be powered by the LiPo and the charger will be a mains powered unit.
Larry

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DaveB wrote:Hi HC :hello:

I'm a little disappointed that the Champ didn't turn up today.. it should have.. it was 24hr delivery so, I'm not really sure how these batteries charge. The RTF package seems to show 8 x AA type batteries, the small 150mh 3.7v LiPo, a charger, the controller and the aircraft. I've not known a battery charge from an AA powered charger before (though all this is new to me) so I've presumed the 8xAA's are 4 for the controller and 4 for the charger or 4 spare for the controller :dunno:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
My little heli has 4 AAs for the transmitter, which also doubles as the charger. I suspect your charger is powered by the other 4 AAs if it's a separate non-mains unit. These devious hobby companies know that within 2 minutes you;ll be infuriated, and pay another tenner for a mains charger! :)
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

D'oh! :doh:

:lol: :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi Dave,

Yes the charger is powered by 4xAA batteries.

I found that pretty handy because its small and portable, so I took it up on the hills with me. You can stay out all day!

Good advice about the Li-po's. Not the safest batteries or the most stable but ok as long as you follow the guidelines.

Let em cool right down before you charge them as well.

Our dog chewed one up the other day and the gel inside leaked out onto her tongue and burnt her slightly.

Fortunately she survived the ordeal but is scared shitless of the little Li-po's now. :lol: :lol:

Let me know when it arrives and how your getting on. Obviously not until your birthday. :wasntme: :agree: :lol:

BTW I had a crash in the Wildcat tonight. I clipped a very small tree whilst coming into land. It was due to being distracted by a silly woman training her collies on my landing strip. :rant: :rant:

Only light scratches and a little tear in the wing. All fixed up and glued. Shame the first scratches are always the worst. :((
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Eddie :hello:

Thanks for that mate ;) Sri to hear the Wildcat suffered it's first battle scars.. I fully understand how you feel :( It's never quite the same again is it :'( Ah well.. as you've only just got it, you'll have to fly it faster than ever so you can't see the damage :lol: Pity it doesn't have working guns.. you could have straffed that silly woman! :rant:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Thankfully the Parkzone fighter models are quite resilient. I was shown a '109 by a colleague today that had been victim of a major altercation with terra-firma, ended up in several pieces (both wing and fuselage), but being fairly solid foam had gone back together very nicely considering. After a quick respray you'd hardly be able to tell! :)
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well.. the Champ arrived this afternoon and I couldn't resist opening it to have a look. Not sure what's in the box looks like £70 but I'm sure I'll have fun with it. FS2000 wasn't worth £70 either although I could fly in the warm.. at a stutter! :lol: I've read all the do's and don'ts and am sufficiently confident (scared) to get it in the air when SWMBO clears my flightplan :) One thing I need to do if I'm to adhere to the instructions is build a runway over the common.. concrete or wood will do :worried: I guess I can send the daughter to run and catch it.. the manual states that I/YOU shouldn't try to catch it, it doesn't mention anyone else :lol:

Right.. back to packing.. not! :worried:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Just get the dog trained up Dave :lol:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."