Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I noticed a more 'sedate'.. 'relaxed' speed a few times when you throttled back but boy.. does the old girl pick up it's skirts and go like something off a shovel when you put it back to the 70% mark! :-O I have to say I'm impressed ;) I've open ground like that no more than 2 mins (on foot) away from where I'm moving to so I may try and justify purchase of a 'learner' ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Been back into model flying for 3 or 4 years now ( last time was control line when I was about 15 ;) )
Started with the obligatory cub and about a dozen aircraft since
Got a wildcat myself but its in dock waiting for a new cowl
The trouble is once youve mastered the model its then time to move on to something that will stress you out again :lol:
Got a couple of ducted fan foamie jets that are quick and still give us a buzz but have moved away from lipos to ic engines which Ive converted to run on petrol ( way cheaper that glow fuel and uses less anyhow) Got a seagull nemesis with a 12cc motor and awaiting its maden a seagull cap232 with a 20cc
Links to a few inflight vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbbvSomGFeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgAkXefyK28

Will post some piccies soon
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Nice one Dale. I love the 'pilot's view' cam on the first one though the sound nearly ruptured my speakers when it fired up :lol: The Space Walker sounds particularly throaty :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

DaveB wrote: the first one though the sound nearly ruptured my speakers when it fired up :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That tickled me Dave. It really did.

Dale,

Impressive stuff matey. Those models certainly look and sound great.

That first one sounds like a beast.

A good friend of mine, who incidently, got me started into the sport flys EDF jets.

He showed me a couple of his jets. A funjet and a squall. Never saw the squall flying but the Funjet was like a missle!

BTW Dave,

If you want a good basic learner trainer to get you up and running. They start very cheap and don't come better than this.

I have one and love it. Even now. Although I'm flying bigger and faster stuff, this cub is a little beauty to fly.

£70 with batteries, radio and charger. It really is great fun! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HobbyZone-Aer ... 564912de01
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well.. I knew something was getting buggered as I already have 2 perforated ear drums so it couldn't have been them! :lol:

Funny you show that ad. I spent a while looking online this afternoon (as you do) and that Cub caught my eye. With my birthday only a couple of weeks away.. that might be a good choice for an unemployed bloke to spend his time :lol: Of course.. I'll take the Labrador with me too ;) Cheers Eddie.. I reckon I've been convinced :thumbsup:
EDIT: I ran this past the girls tonight and they agreed it was ok as a birthday present. I've since added to basket and the little tinker will be with me on Wed :) Of course, I won't be able to open it but who cares ;) Looking forward very much to giving it a run next week.. make that April 3rd :thumbsup:
ATB
DaveB :rock: B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Great news Dave.

That little Champ doesn't need a huge area to fly and gives you everything in the way of controls that the bigger models do.

Only its slower and more relaxed so you get to learn and avoid the frustrations of expensive rebuilds and part replacements.

A word of warning though. :)

Its VERY addictive and will draw you in. Seriously. You will be wanting big and faster models once you've mastered the Champ. :rofl:

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I used to fly floatplanes back in my R/C days. Huge fun, although you'll want to purchase an inflatable raft (and oar) to retrieve your aircraft if/when the engine dies. :)

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alison made me promise this wouldn't be the start of something expensive and I've an awful feeling it might be.. not that I want her to be right you understand :worried: I've watched all the films at Hobbyzone a few times and have read as much as I can on it. I don't know if I'm going to be able to last until my birthday! :lol:
Do you have spare batteries for yours Eddie and how long do they take to charge?

A float plane would be good Brian. I've a canal network close by and have already imagined landing on one.. not in the Champ though!
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

DaveB wrote:Do you have spare batteries for yours Eddie and how long do they take to charge?
Yes mate. You get one with the aircraft and I bought another three.

Ebay do spare batteries for about £2-3 each, delivered.

Each lasts about 5-10 mins and a can be recharged in about 25 mins.

Battery duration obviously depends on how you fly. I often get up high and then power off. Leaving nature to take me in.

The beauty of that little Champ is its just wants to stay in the air. Its incredibly light and has a high lift wing. :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Eddie :thumbsup:

I have a fear of going out to play for the first time and running out of power far too soon :lol: I found a spare (3.7V 1S 150mAh LiPo) advertised at one place for over £7.. not bad I thought until they wanted a further £3-4 postage :-O That said, that place did sell spare wings and props so I'll keep it bookmarked :lol:
EDIT: a pack of 3 spares found on ebay for £7.34inc.. ordered ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage