Turboprop modelling in FS9

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

MMattyK
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Turboprop modelling in FS9

Post by MMattyK »

Im trying to discover the 'magic' involved in modelling turboprops within the air container SDK for FS9. I've had a look at a number of turboprop 'engines' (pay ware Dash 8, Captain sim C130) and neither of these seem to follow real world data, to give a prop speed of 1195rpm for the dash 8 or 1021rpm for the Hercules.

The Hercules in flight gets some thrust from the jet efflux from the engine as well

If anyone could shed light on a way to accurately model turboprops in a standard fashion, it would be much appreciated, and a detailed breakdown of the engine programming componenets would be much appreciated.. what on earth is the value for prop time constant generated from for example, and how can you work out the moi for the prop?

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Incidentally, If anyone is interested (apart from myself) in 'building' a DeHavilland Flamingo, I have some technical data to help with the modelling. I've never built anything myself but would be happy to assist an experienced modeller/developer by sharing the data.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: Turboprop modelling in FS9

Post by Garry Russell »

A lot of models use special coding to help turboprop behaviour and performance.

Turbo props is something FS does not do well at all as regard to the built in coding.

One common feature is the reluctance to slow down as the prop drag when throttled back in not effective enough by far and a lot of invisible fiddling has to be done to try and achieve the desired effect.

All turbo props give thrust from the exhaust but in FS it can be prop (piston) or jet, but not both.

In addition FS9 only allows four engines and for something like a Herk you would need eight...four props and four jets, but even it you could have eight you can only have prop or jet but not a mixture

Again there are workarounds but that tends to be model teams own solutions and special coding unique to the particular model.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

MMattyK
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by MMattyK »

I think that the phrase for me is going to be 'oh bugger' lol
Thanks for the information, regarding the hercules situation... it seems like it is a lost cause being as a newbie.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

They all have to be fluffed around and there is not specific function to turn up or down sadly.

Stock codes for all functions in FS are limited and increasingly, as model have got more complex and as such more demanding, special coding has needed to be written, even for things like starting.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Main problem is that dear old Microsoft based their turboprop on the pt6,
which is a free- power turbine, so to simulate a direct drive like a Dart, or Tpe331
for example, as Garry says, it has to be fudged somewhat.
Ttfn
Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.