How to land an F-35.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

How to land an F-35.

Post by Paul K »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18919934

Very impressive! I rather like the JSF and look forward to seeing what it can do at an airshow one day soon.

Jetstreamsky
Viscount
Viscount

Re: How to land an F-35.

Post by Jetstreamsky »

Better video here http://youtu.be/Ki86x1WKPmE

If they ever get it working properly, it'll be operated by the World's smallest air forces, one or two of these will break the bank.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

It made me laugh when the RAF guy was saying how he can push a button and it lands itself, allowing him to focus on the mission. Surely when he is landing the mission should be over and the landing is the bit he should be concentrating on :lol:
call me a cynic but a lot of this tech results in less capable pilots, in much the same way as the tech in modern cars means people who are incompetent being able to drive cars. :rant:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Hideous ugly thing.
Alex

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

I'm sure it'll be impressive at an airshow but useless for anything else.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

TSR2 wrote:It made me laugh when the RAF guy was saying how he can push a button and it lands itself, allowing him to focus on the mission. Surely when he is landing the mission should be over and the landing is the bit he should be concentrating on :lol:
call me a cynic but a lot of this tech results in less capable pilots, in much the same way as the tech in modern cars means people who are incompetent being able to drive cars. :rant:
To an extent that is already happening in airlines especially commuter outfits where they pay peanuts and have a never ending stream of monkeys.

The Harrier was a bit tricky at first but it was improved. truth is the pilots handled it just fine. Perhaps you needed to be above average to handle the Harrier and systems on your own, but, in that sort of situation we need only the best up front and there is no better filter than hard work knowledge and experience.

In flight sim, folks can't fly something as it should be they have the flight modelled altered so they can...so they're doing that in real life now, making it easier to do, but is that the best? No always good letting a machine decide what it thinks you are wanting to do.

Between those too lies reality, but I'm not sure anyone knows where that is nowadays.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

Perhaps you needed to be above average to handle the Harrier and systems on your own, but, in that sort of situation we need only the best up front and there is no better filter than hard work knowledge and experience.
That's true, but the filter is for the best pilots, not necessarily the best system operators/mission managers which led to quite a high chop rate in the latter stages of flying training as people who could fly the aircraft couldn't cope with the Tac weapons phase at Valley which was the last stage before going to the OCU. By reducing the pilot workload you've got a bigger pool of people to choose from to select the best operators rather than just the best stick handlers. Ultimately from a military perspective aircraft handling is a secondary consideration to mission management.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Take your point Skippy.

I can't image the workload involved especially under pressure.

There couldn't be many who can handle all of that...I certainly couldn't
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

I wouldn't want to be the one to dump a hundred million quid in the ocean...

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Jetstreamsky wrote:Better video here http://youtu.be/Ki86x1WKPmE

If they ever get it working properly, it'll be operated by the World's smallest air forces, one or two of these will break the bank.
Oh man I just watched that in HD full screen. Gawd that is one terrific video !!

:thumbsup: :cheers: