208/Naval8...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

208/Naval8...

Post by petermcleland »

A while ago I published a Keynote file "208 Squadron in Kenya for the iPad"...However, that needed an iPad and an App called Keynote to run.

Here is a PDF version that can be viewed on a PC and also on an iPad in the built in iBooks app...It has over 170 pictures (A few more than my original PowerPoint presentation) and the download is 42 mbs:-

http://www.petermcleland.com/dl/208_Squ ... ya_PDF.zip

I hope some people will be entertained by it...There are no transition effects or music but the picture quality is good :)

hurricanemk1c
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: 208/Naval8...

Post by hurricanemk1c »

I'll have a look in the morning Peter - thanks for posting!
Mutley's Hangar Staff Reviewer - http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/
Join the ATWC at Mutley's Hangar!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

hurricanemk1c wrote:I'll have a look in the morning Peter - thanks for posting!
OK, Hurricane...I don't know if you are an iPad user but if you are and want to know how to view it in the iBook app, let me know. If it a PC then just double click the file inside the zip :fly:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

What an interesting life you have led Peter. Most of those photographs are extremely high quality. I wonder have you ever goone back in recent years to see how things have changed? Thank you for letting us look at your life. You should put your memoires on paper.
Alex

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Thanks Vancouver,

I'm glad you have enjoyed the photos ...no I have not been back to Kenya since I left, but have visited other parts of Africa.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

A quick note for Ian and other iPad users...I found a new App today called "Cabinet"...It will import any PDF file and display it well...It also allows you to Annotate a PDF file. The cost is only £1.99 and I'm very pleased with it. I imported my 208 PDF file and ran though it and also my wife's book which I happen to have a PDF copy of. It seem to be a very nice App and useful for all your FlightSim PDF aircraft manuals.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Many thanks for those fascinating pics. The cars, even more than the aeroplanes , provoke such nostalgia . I had forgotten that the RAF had early Standard Vanguards as staff cars, and the thought of a TF on those roads !! ( although the surfaces look better than they did 20 ish years later when I used to drive on them )

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

petermcleland wrote:A quick note for Ian and other iPad users...I found a new App today called "Cabinet"...It will import any PDF file and display it well...It also allows you to Annotate a PDF file. The cost is only £1.99 and I'm very pleased with it. I imported my 208 PDF file and ran though it and also my wife's book which I happen to have a PDF copy of. It seem to be a very nice App and useful for all your FlightSim PDF aircraft manuals.
Hi Peter. Thanks for the heads up. I've already got my manuals in iBooks for iPad so I can read them at work :lol:

Cabinet sounds useful so I'll have a look in a minute. I haven't had time to download your 208 file yet as I've been rather busy but I'm very much looking forward to it. Thank you for making it available.

Ian :)

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

cstorey wrote:Many thanks for those fascinating pics. The cars, even more than the aeroplanes , provoke such nostalgia . I had forgotten that the RAF had early Standard Vanguards as staff cars, and the thought of a TF on those roads !! ( although the surfaces look better than they did 20 ish years later when I used to drive on them )
Chris,

The roads in Tanganyika could be pretty atrocious as their "Graders" were only a couple of chaps with a beam across their shoulders with bunches of twigs dangling from it and dragging on the ground behind them. In Northern Rhodesia the roads were still Murram but they had big mechanical Graders which did a good job on the corrugations. Naturally you would still come across some stretches that had not been graded recently. The MG TF was very good on corrugations and the speed required to run smoothly on the top of them was only 45 MPH. A year of so later when I drove the Mini down the same route, I discovered that corrugation speed was unusable as it was about 70 MPH due to the small size of the wheels...So in the Mini we had to put up with hundreds of miles of juddering but earlier in the TF, I had heated soup when Roy was driving over a long corrugated stretch at a steady 60 MPH.