Instant Scenery V2

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Instant Scenery V2

Post by Dev One »

If you are talking about Radar Golf balls then there is one at Titterstone Clee Hill in Shropshire. Or of course the famous ones in Cyprus in the Troodos mountains.
If I'm way off course I will go back to sleep!
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

George/Mike/Keith..

I was goofing up the Cornish coast a few days ago and came across GCHQ Bude (or whatever name it goes under these days). There are varying sizes of golf-ball antenna there. I've put some dishes in place but the golf-balls would finish it off :) There's also one at Predannack looking at shots. The little tinkers are all over the place! :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Dave, in my old UK VFR, I had a Leeds-Bradford airport and just to the North was a heap of golfball radars - RAF Menwith, from memory. I think it appeared in Allan Trussell's farm scenery too.
In the meantime, this might help:
http://www.owlsnest.eu/libraries.php
ATB
MikeW

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Mike.. some interesting do-dads in there ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave,
Concocted the subject bgl from an image at that GCHQ in Cornwall, mentioned by you.
You can d/l my file from here:
http://airspeedsflyingvisit.webplus.net/simdls.html
then IS V2 it to where you want.

If it's anything like what you want, I can apply some better textures, or modify it to suit; or you can use some of the proper ones suggested by MikeW while I wasn't looking! :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Cheers Mike.. I'll take a look ;)

EDIT: Mike.. I've dropped it into my addon scenery/scenery folder but it's not showing for placement in IS :dunno:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Dave, I think I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought you meant the relatively small ones that you get at some commercial airports housing the ground radar, not the 4D defence type ones :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

DaveB wrote:Cheers Mike.. I'll take a look ;)

EDIT: Mike.. I've dropped it into my addon scenery/scenery folder but it's not showing for placement in IS :dunno:

ATB
Dave B)smk
No entry for "radomes etc" ? The bgl is called radomes & bldgs; does that appear in your file list? I was able to place it at Prennack or whatever that Naval airfield on the Lizard is called; that's a screen shot of it on that d/l page. It's been a long day, I need some shut eye. Will check out any reply in the morning, Mate. ;)

Meanwhile, in the IS list of objects, you should find a heading of "radars" - in this list are some animated rotating scanners and a couple of doppler items, white balls on top of towers.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike :)

No, it doesn't appear in the list (unless I'm going blind) :lol: I'm off out to work in two tics so I'll take another look when I get back (though I have checked more than once already) ;) No noticeable entry for radars either. You obviously have different libraries installed ;)
ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Dave - the scenery I was thinking of is by Kevin Ball:
FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Scenery
FS2004 Scenery--Telecom Tower
[ Download | View ]

Name: tctowegn.zip
Size: 613,343 Date: 10-11-2004 Downloads: 2,304

FS2004 Scenery--Telecom Tower near Leeds Bradford Airport (EGNM), Yorkshire, England, UK. Includes the Telecom Tower, water reservoir and mast near Leeds Bradford Airport. There is also a representation of the "golfballs" at RAF Menwith Hill, north of the airport, and four small TV/radio transmitters on the moors between Yorkshire and Lancashire. Finally there are three chimneys located between Leeds General Infirmary and Leeds University, just to the right of the flight path into runway 32. All the objects have been placed using VFR Photographic scenery. By Kevin Ball.
There is also an FSX version:
Name: telecom2.zip
Size: 2,715,677 Date: 09-28-2007 Downloads: 1,346

FSX Scenery--Telecom Tower near Leeds Bradford Airport, UK. Models are fully textured. Included are the BT Tower near EGNM (LBIA), the Menwith 'golfballs', the Ilkley Moor masts, two large objects in Huddersfield and several other small(ish) structures in the Yorkshire and Lancashire area of England, UK. By Kevin Ball.
:cheers:
MikeW