BAC-111 Pneumatic System

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

investdude
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

BAC-111 Pneumatic System

Post by investdude »

Question for David Maltby. I'm really enjoying flying your BAC-11-400 since I flew the real airplane both as F/O and as Capt. The simulation is very impressive. The systems seem to work pretty much as they should, I realize the limitations of FS2004 sometimes require compromise with reality but I'm puzzled about one thing though. I start out cold, start APU, open the air delivery valve and get a pressure indication on the pneumatic system left side which is correct because the APU air comes into the left side. But when I open the crossfeed valve the right side does not show a pressure rise. Now it's 28 years since I flew the airplane and I could be forgetting something but that doesn't seem right to me. I remember we used to land and take-off with the APU powering the air conditioning and then switch over to the engines after take-off. Another thing I remember, no. 1 AC hydraulic pump needs to be switched on for take off because the gear is on no. 1 system and if you lose no. 1 engine on take-off the gear will not come up.

The flight dynamics are excellent, the feel of the simulation is astonishingly like the real airplane. :cheers:

Fortiesman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: BAC-111 Pneumatic System

Post by Fortiesman »

What a wonderful post for us BAC 1-11 flyers. It is very heartening to hear such praise from a real 1-11 pilot, that the sim is so lifelike. I've got to the stage now where nearly all of my non military flights are using Maltby models.
My first were the Comet and then the Trident- and lately I've discovered the joys of the 1-11.
In fact I'm trying to fly the 1-11 from cold start- well I have a few times, but I have come up against a problem of starting the APU- in both the 510 and the 400.
In each case I switch on the battery, trip the gen and then turn on the APU switch.( doing everything as in the steps given in the tutorial on the website entitled "Flying the BAC 1-11 " ).
However, on pressing the start button, the gull eye reads start, but it stays there and doesn't go to RUN. I got it to happen a couple of times but don't know why it happened. Once it did though, all the other instructions were followed, as in the tutorial, and i successfully got started. It's just this APU thing where it grinds to a halt.

Can anyone tell me please, what tweak there may be necessary, that isn't in the tutorial, to overcome this?

On a different tac, I often go to a Flight Sim Group meeting which consists of mainly two groups.
The G.A chaps, who fly VOR in small planes over smallish areas; and the Heavies group who fly the 737s , 747s etc and who it seems to me spend a lot of time programming FMCs and then flying those :)

And I'm about the only chap there flying the in between Classic british planes, I use IFR and the default ATC, but without FMCs,
Instead I use the wonderful authentic Autopilots of these planes- It keeps the grey matter going, instead of "pressing a button to start the FMC and waking up just before touchdown."

I know that phrase is a little unfair, but It's just a little hyperbole in order to illustrate the wonderful difference between our classics and the modern airliners. :)

What is amazing is that I seem to be the only one who is aware of, and willing to try, Mr Maltby's planes ( even though i tell 'em ).
From what I have seen on the screens, these modern payware efforts are no more "realistic" than Mr Maltby's et al magnificent planes particularly those wonderful Virtual cockpits.

Once again, thank you Mr Maltby for you and your colleagues efforts and making my simming so enjoyable.

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

There is a fix in FSX for this, I'll dig it out for you. it wirks fine on the 510ED, but on the 200/300/400/475/500 not so well. Once you start the APU you can't stop it :dunno:

Nige

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

rohan
Trident
Trident

Post by rohan »

... actually, that's THIS one. Sorry to say that your link points back to this very thread rather than the intended one ...

:hide:

... which, I think, was meant to be this ...

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/viewtop ... =6&t=24145

Hope that helps,
regs,
Ro

:cheers:

Fortiesman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Fortiesman »

Gents

Thanks a lot for the link. I went right thru it and I have downloaded the two cab files which TSR2 put up.
I am not sure what to do with them. If I unzip them I take it i find the xml things which D Maltby posted and which should be pasted somewhere.
It's knowing where to past them that I need please.?

EDIT- I have unzipped one of the files and there are a load of BMP and xml files. I take it I copy and paste them into a folder somewhere. Guidance please?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

You don't unzip cab files mate, you just put them in the gauges folder as is. FS reads them as is. ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Thanks for the comments investdude. Always nice to hear good things off people like yourelf.
I'm sure you're 100% correct in what you point out with the systems.
The model isn't being updated anymore. I've just looked and was amazed to see it's more than 6 years since the last meaningful update was released!
So, it's not like I'm going to be altering anything soon. Looking at it all these days, it's like someone else did the work. :lol:

Fortiesman, as Ben says, you leave the cab file alone. You just need to overwrite the old cab files, with the new one.
Depends on where your aircraft models are, but it would be something like these folders:-
Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files\BAC 1-11 Panel VC
OR if it's the 510ED model...
Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files\BAC 1-11 510ED Panel VC

Good Luck
DM
ImageImage

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

rohan wrote:
... actually, that's THIS one. Sorry to say that your link points back to this very thread rather than the intended one ...

:hide:

... which, I think, was meant to be this ...

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/viewtop ... =6&t=24145

Hope that helps,
regs,
Ro

:cheers:

Oops! Had a bad day yesterday. Still, keep taking the tablets. :excited: :lol:

N

Fortiesman
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Fortiesman »

Thank you very much everyone.

I have put the files where you say, D, and I've tried both the 400 and the 510 and everything worked :welldone:

Great!! So, I now have my stable of Comet, Trident and the two BAC 1-11s and it's all excellent.

Thanks again.