Buying a bespoke FSX capable PC

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Buying a bespoke FSX capable PC

Post by delticbob »

Well folks, as of last November when my games PC decided it would expire I have not flown & am rather missing it.

That machine was most capable of an (only) adequate experience in FS9, but FSX was simply a no go area as everything had to be basic. The machine just would not cope.

(Yes I have just downloaded the Avsim guide mentioned in another thread before you tell me its there B)smk )

I have a local PC shop (one man band...one to one service, home visits etc) who sorts my machines out & I have spoken to him about requiring a PC that WILL run FSX, however, would I would be most appreciative of, & there is no rush I still have several weeks of saving before I get nearly enough money...what ever that may mean.

As a guide he & I were thinking

Processor....Intel I-5 but having had a very quick glace at the Avsim document its already talking an I-7
Operating System was planned to be Windows 7 but he now suggests either Windows 8 or perhaps a dual-boot with Windows & my copy of XP.
Graphics planned around a nVidia Gb card
DVD-RW either an LG or Pioneer unit
Hard Drive, most probably a 1TB Hitachi
RAM DDR3 8Gb (Kingston)

This is what I discussed with him last year with an update today.

What I would like from you who fly FSX (if it copes with that FS9 will not be a problem (& yes I am thinking of both), is a comment or three.

What set up's do you have & what settings are you able to use.

Everything is fluid & nothing decided at this stage, but I would like to be able to give him a set of minimum specs, that I know from your inputs & suggestions, will give a satisfactory gaming experience, I we (he&I) can use these as a benchmark for putting together a PC that will once & for all allow me to fly FSX other than gliding which is about all I've ever done with it...though I must say I did find the function to call up the tug most useful.

OK guy's over to you. Its probably not going to be before early May that I have anywhere near enough money to think seriously about this, which is good as he is most busy at the moment (http://www.ittogo.co.uk/).

As always you help is invited & I look forwards to suggestions.

Bob :cheers:
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Buying a bespoke FSX capable PC

Post by TSR2 »

Just a quick few comments. XP is dead, so no point, go with 7, while 8 is fine, you might find it tricky to adjust to it at first.

Hard disk wise, consider SSD, they are roughly 50p per GB unless you need lots of disk space. If you go for spinning disks, get 2, one for the OS and one for FS.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

SSD is one of these solid state drives I take it? :doh:

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yes indeed. For FSX / FS9 if you intend on using photo scenery a 240gb drive would be best. The only reason I can think for having several terabytes of spinning disk is if you intend on using the PC for storing videos / pictures etc. If its only really for FS and the normal documents internet browsing etc, the only real reason for a large drive is to have an external one for backup.

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

TSR2 wrote:Yes indeed. For FSX / FS9 if you intend on using photo scenery a 240gb drive would be best.
Hmm, I have just under a terabyte of scenery :|
George

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

GHD wrote:
TSR2 wrote:Yes indeed. For FSX / FS9 if you intend on using photo scenery a 240gb drive would be best.
Hmm, I have just under a terabyte of scenery :|
:-O :worried:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I find that hardly surprising :lol: The odd screenie that George posts.. it's obvious that his FSX is vastly different from what is available to the rest of us. He also runs FS9 for testing too and I'll bet that install isn't straight out of the box :-O
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!