Choice of Browsers

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Choice of Browsers

Post by airboatr »

So I have this XP machine which I intend to keep going for as long as I can. It's a Dell D610 Laptop that has alot of available configurations. I'm building a stash of spare parts to keep an XP machine because some of my programs were never updated to work on Vista and newer.

And I ain't spending a small fortune to buy the lastest version. peroid

But as most know IE8 is becoming less compatable with a lot of sites. So here is the Question.

Crome or Firefox?

I'm a little offish by google *-)

aeroart
Viscount
Viscount

Re: Choice of Browsers

Post by aeroart »

I've used Firefox for ages, including with XP, and now with Win7. It's always been fine. You might want to consider, however, that Microsoft support for XP is running out of time, and your operating system will not be updated, leaving you more vulnerable to unwanted intrusions.

Art

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Joe

Having seen both and given the option.. despite what I think about Google Chrome, I think it's the more attractive of the two. It looks and works more like IE than Firefox which I like. Speedwise.. I'm not sure. I've never used Chrome on XP.. Firefox is quick enough I guess. It just does things differently. Nothing really wrong with it.. I just prefer IE.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hi Art.
Yes you're right, so after the updates stop I'll use my Win 7 machine for internet, But the XP machine will provide years of service to do my editing of videos and photos, burning ISO's and a lot of other things.

You know, It runs FSX pretty good. ...good enough to fly a chopper like nobodies buisness. ;)

Hi Dave!

I think Firefox is going to be the choice.
I just needed a little push I guess.. a tickling of me ears you could say. :lol:

Google is getting a little to big for thier britches.. if you know what I mean..
...well of course you do.

HB by the way..
I read Bens post saying you have made 11% of the total post on CBFS.
Some might say you talk alot.. ..... I've been told that..

Of course I do - I have a lot to say! :agree:

Be Well, Be Blessed Dave. That is my BD wish for you.

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

One of the lightest resource, low ram usage browsers is K-Meleon, free download from here - http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

It uses the Mozilla Gecko browser engine, same as Firefox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Meleon

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

airboatr wrote:So here is the Question.

Crome or Firefox?
Hello Joe. As somebody who runs the three most popular browsers side by side, I'd say 'Why ask the question?' Why not have all three icons sitting in your task bar and use whichever you fancy on the day. They're all free, they all take about five minutes to download and set up to your liking and they'll all import your favourites. You can set them all up with the same homepage or homepages on the tabs.

After all, they're only picture frames for your web browsing and apart from a few clicks you probably hardly use it.

Go on, get them all and spoil yourself. Then you can tell us which is best! :lol:

Ian :)

Jetstreamsky
Viscount
Viscount

Post by Jetstreamsky »

I agree grab them all and try them out

One really good aspect with Chrome if you have multiple machines, phones, iPads etc, is you can easily jump from one device to another and see what you were looking at on a prior device and continue with that.

You can set up sync with Firefox too, but Chrome seems to have best integration to me.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

airboatr wrote:Hi Art.
Yes you're right, so after the updates stop I'll use my Win 7 machine for internet, But the XP machine will provide years of service to do my editing of videos and photos, burning ISO's and a lot of other things.

You do realise that things like burning ISO's are now native in the OS mate, you don't need additional software to do it :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Indeed, Ben :)
Thanks for the replies. :)

Firefox, like I said, will probably be my choice. But I was interested in what others might suggest.

DarrenL , thanks for bringing an alternative too the two. I was hoping someone might mention a browser
other than the obvious alternatives to ie8.

Gold Star for DarrenL
:thumbsup:

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

Joe

Another thought - what programs are you using to edit photos and video that makes you need to stay with XP?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but maybe some newer alternatives will do the same.

Ian