Another One Bites the Dust!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Another One Bites the Dust!

Post by DaveB »

Hi Tony..

Eric has pointed out that my 'note' said Wed 21st. Wednesday is today of course and is the 20th :-O I simply cut and paste the info from email to here so no finger trouble on my part but I feel I should get it confirmed now the possible error has come to light. Hang in there troops ;)

As per my post on the 591 thread.. Ian's funeral was today at 1300. He went out to 'The times, they are a changin' and 'Blowin' in the wind' by Bob Dylan.. one of Ian's favourites ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Many thanks for the info Dave.I'm sure Ian would have been smiling at this slight mix up :lol: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Typical crew control ;.............. always getting your roster messed up

Dave f.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I haven't been on here in quite a while, given I don't even have FS on my PC any more, but something compelled me to come here tonight and then after a minute or two, search for this thread to see how Ian was doing. It seems I am a month too late and to my knowledge, he has become the third member of this forum who has passed on since I joined. I checked back and it was only May when he first posted he was ill with cancer. I guess we always imagine people will soldier on that bit longer, but with that disease, you can never tell.

I never met Ian, but his posts were always full of good humour, he was encouraging, knowledgeable and I enjoyed his anecdotes from his time in BOAC/BA, especially crewing on the VC10. In particular, I'll always remember the one he told about the MiG that intercepted them and how he said he nearly dropped the food in the passenger's lap who calmly pointed it out to him through the window. :)

RIP Ian and sorry I didn't log in a bit sooner. :(

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/viewtop ... il#p111091

WhisperJet
Concorde
Concorde

Post by WhisperJet »

Great story Toby, many thanks for posting the link! :) :thumbsup:

Best wishes,

Nick
Noise Abatement? Never.
(D. Maltby)

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

I had forgotten about that story! I remember Ian saying that he didn't have all that many interesting tales to tell, but that may have been his modesty talking. Anyway, I figured that it might help keep the memory of Ian alive if I gave it a slightly more prominent place on the internet:
http://www.vc10.net/Memories/testing_ea ... gintercept

I hope nobody minds me doing this, if so, please let me know.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I think that's a lovely tribute mate, very Ian :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

ianhind
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ianhind »

I've not commented before during this thread, feeling a bit upset by past events in my own family.

But thinking back to the good times, perhaps somewhat irreverent, to me this emphasised Ian's sense of humour. You've only got to look at the responses to know that he recognised his audience ;)

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_bb/viewtop ... hilit=nike

So RIP and thanks for the anecdotes, stories and wise words.

Ian

Edit - just realised that post was a reprise of Ian's (speedbird591) original post :doh: But same responses to his wit :agree: