Another One Bites the Dust!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Another One Bites the Dust!

Post by dodger »

Hello Ian,

Thanks for the update,

There is nothing i can say as you know but we are all thinking of you i'm sure, while i am only on pills to lower my
cholesterol and pills to slow my heart rate, its this getting old [like we all do] and having to adjust yourself to things as my mind is like when i was in my younger years but my body tells me my age :lol:

Keep you chin up Ian,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ian, thanks for the update, was beginning to wonder if you had any more news for us and sadly it isn't the news we would have liked to hear!! :(( As for going from belt to braces that should be a lot more comfortable for you, gawd, that certainly brings back memories of when I used to wear them as a youngster and just for laughs some git would come up behind and grab hold of the braces, pull them back then let go!! :rant:
then I'd better start looking at buggies, I suppose.
I can highly recommend DM Mobility Ian as this is where I got my scooter from, a Pride GoGo which dissembles easily and fits nicely into the boot of my car, top speed is 4mph and range varies (between 6 - 10 miles) depending on how fast you go and the contours of the land and temperature it will not climb steepish hills. There are many types to choose from but obviously the bigger they are the further they can travel and attain speeds of up to 8mph, one downside is that they do have soft tyres so punctures could be a problem when out and about but insurance cover can be obtained for breakdowns, punctures etc. The small scooters have solid tyres.

They offer free delivery for anything over £100 and their service was brilliant I would have no hesitation going back to them when I need something else.

I would avoid going to a motobility shop if buying new as their prices are high, when I got mine about 2 years ago I paid £499 at DM Mobility and at one shop I visited they were selling the same for £1000, however it may be cheaper to go for a 2nd hand one and in that case then shops might be the answer or even private purchase.

http://www.discountmobilityshop.com/c71 ... ooters.htm

Kind regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

G'day, Ian,
As others have said, thanks for keeping us up to date, and we do think of you daily, even when there's no new post to read.
Your missed pill day must have been a bugger; sounds like they should make them a brighter colour!
We wish you comfortable days and nights, wish there was more we could do.
ATB

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Ian. Just to say that I think about you each day. :hello: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Thanks for all the replies and PMs, guys. I'm not too depressed as the pain hasn't been too bad the past couple of days. It's easy to find little treats to cheer yourself up. I've just been to Tesco and bought an all-day breakfast sandwich and a cheeseboard with an interesting selection. I've got a couple of jobs to do on the computer and then I can put my feet up and read The Times on the iPad and dream about when I used to have to go to work :lol:

Nigel - thank you for that link to the DM Mobility site. I haven't yet looked into that aspect and that's a really good introduction. I had no idea there were so many scooters to choose from and the variation in prices with discounts is huge! I don't know where to start. Perhaps I won't need one :worried: Anyway - there are loads of things on that site that I'll probably need at some stage so I'll start looking into it all. One thing that's always bothered me with the scooters is reliability. What do you do if it breaks down a mile or two away from home? Do they have like an RAC call-out - because you'd be completely helpless, wouldn't you? That is frightening.

Do Class 3 (8mph) buggy owners have a higher status than others? If so, I'd better have one of those. With halogen headlamps or something so I can intimidate old ladies at pedestrian crossings. Do they have air horns? There seems like a lot to learn :lol:

Ian :)

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hi Ian,

Well whatever type of scooter you decide on you can get a good set of headphones and a radio and the fit one of these,

Convert your Scooter to a Shelby Cobra V8 or Ferrari "SoundRacer" :hide:

All the Best,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Ian :hello:

There is insurance available for breakdown cover 24/7 plus theft, accident, loss of keys personal liability (as we have such a big claim culture) etc. Link given at bottom, the company is in Grantham just a 40 minute or so drive from where I live but that is not the reason for giving you the link, :worried: they will provide initial free insurance if you buy from DM Mobility who will arrange the cover for you so if you are unfortunate enough to break down just make that call and they will get someone to come out to recover/repair. Not from Grantham by the way!! :lol: :lol:

http://premiercare.info/mobility-scooter-insurance

Air horns Ian? I could do with some as you will be surprised how stupid some of these pedestrians can be, many times one has been standing speaking to another person or looking through a shop window then as I approach they step backwards right in front of me without looking then give me a look as though to say tw*t :-O

Anyway, if you decide not to buy one I am sure that maybe there might be something else from them that will be of benefit to you, just out of interest as you described your bed and having to sleep in a certain position what about sitting? This is one problem I have with my spine and sometime ago I purchased a lazy boy chair, they can be expensive but for comfort and easing my pain they certainly do help. Just a thought.

Fiinally Ian, would you like us all to PM you sometime during the day to remind you to take your pill? :hide:

Kind regards
Nigel.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

All this discussion about buggies and accessories like radios and intimidating light arrays, yet not one word on the most important accessory you could do without, Ian.
The I pad holder. Image

How could you, Ian. How could you. :S
;)

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Nigel H-J wrote:
Air horns Ian? I could do with some as you will be surprised how stupid some of these pedestrians can be, many times one has been standing speaking to another person or looking through a shop window then as I approach they step backwards right in front of me without looking then give me a look as though to say tw*t :-O

Kind regards
Nigel.

This is, to put it mildly, a somewhat unfortunate post. The stupid pedestrians , as you describe them, have every right to be on the pavement . A scooter rider is there under sufferance , and should act accordingly . So that there can be no doubt about the position, if a scooter rider injures or kills anyone on the pavement, it is almost certain that civil liability will follow, and without wishing to alarm any user unduly, a serious injury or fatality may well result in criminal proceedings. A charge of manslaughter is by no means out of the question

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

This is, to put it mildly, a somewhat unfortunate post. The stupid pedestrians , as you describe them, have every right to be on the pavement . A scooter rider is there under sufferance , and should act accordingly .
For your information I am fully aware of liability issues surrounding the use of motor scooters, I had also replied very strongly to your post however I deleted it as this thread is all about Ian, you had taken it far too seriously instead of as a tongue in cheek remark to which it was intended and now request that this be the end to it!!!!

Ian, so sorry mate, it is now safe for you to come out and play!! :lol: :lol:

Nigel.