Ian's Bucket List

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Ian's Bucket List

Post by speedbird591 »

Several people have asked me if I've got a bucket list of things to do before I kick the bucket. It seems to be quite fashionable lately :lol:

I answer that I've been so lucky in my life and had so many wonderful opportunities that I've got nothing left unticked (apart from a couple of sexual fantasies which I'm not sharing with you lot :lol: ).

I was daydreaming earlier and wondered how many experiences I could remember and they came flooding back. Of course, there are stories attached to all of them but I haven't got time for that. YOU haven't got time for that! Anyway, off the top of my head, here are some snapshots of some of the wonderful things that I've been privileged to experience. It's one of the reasons that I don't feel resentful about having to leave early ;)

Held baby turtles as they hatched and ran for the sea - Karachi, stayed at Victoria Falls and flew in a light aircraft through the spray – Zimbabwe, ridden a camel around the Pyramids – Cairo, driven Highway One and stayed at Big Sur watching hummingbirds in a clifftop motel garden, visited the Buddha's Temple of the Tooth – Kandy, Sri Lanka, seen thousands of flamingos on Lake Nakuru – Kenya, drunk Singapore Slings in Raffles Hotel, flown inside the Grand Canyon in a light aircraft, sat on the jump seat into Runway 13, Kai Tak – Hong Kong, floated in the Dead Sea – Jordan, been to the Calgary Stampede, been charged by lions, elephants and white rhino while on foot – South African bush, had conversations with Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa and Margaret Thatcher, had dinner at the Norfolk Hotel, Nairobi, sunbathed on Copacabana Beach – Rio de Janeiro, been to a party held by the Bahraini prime minister at his luxury beach house, spent a night in a Bahrain police station, visited a Buddhist shrine halfway up Mount Fuji, driven a corkscrew road up through the Himalayan foothills from Rawalpindi to Murree Hill Station - Pakistan, had a sunrise champagne breakfast on Circular Quay overlooking the opera house and the harbour bridge – Sydney, visited Lenin's tomb and St Basil's cathedral in Red Square – Moscow, had a ham sandwich in Tel Aviv, took a steam train from Delhi to the Taj Mahal, partied in Beirut while it was still known as the Paris of the Med, seen Mount Kilimanjaro from Amboseli National Park, visited the temples of Kyoto, had dinner on the terrace of the Galle Face Hotel – Colombo, Sri Lanka, seen the fairy penguins on Phillip Island – Melbourne, been to the top of Table Mountain – Cape Town, ridden an elephant in Sri Lanka, visited a stilted fishing village in Brunei – Borneo, walked across a frozen lake to Portage Glacier – Alaska, shared a few beers with a genuine sangoma (witch doctor) and shared his secrets – South Africa, driven across the desert from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, watched a 7 locomotive/120 freight car train climb through the Canadian Rockies – Banff National Park, visited the Imperial Palace private gardens - only open on the Emperor's birthday – Tokyo, stayed at Treetops Hotel – Kenya, seen the Aurora Borealis, been in an earthquake - Tokyo ...

And much much more. I've been very, very lucky.

Ian :)

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Ian's Bucket List

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Phew! I feel worn out just reading that! :lol:

Did you ever sit still for more than 10 minutes? *-)
Larry

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Ian, you need to get out more. :thumbsup:

Nev

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hello Ian,

Well you certainly have been and seen life that's for sure, and just think, You where getting paid! :lol:

Keep your chin up mate.

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Wow.

Was the party at the Bahrani prime minister's beach house and the night in a Bahrain police station connected?

Jon

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Impressive list mate. :rock:

In fact its more than impressive. Its astonishing. :-O

I wouldn't mind getting more exotic locations under my belt.

Especially as I've never really been further west than Wigan. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by VEGAS on 15 Jun 2013, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Jon.M wrote:Was the party at the Bahrani prime minister's beach house and the night in a Bahrain police station connected?
:lol: No. In the VC10 days with smaller crews it suited Jack (Sheik Khalifa) to have intimate parties to lure British girls along. He knew they'd only go if the rest of the crew went too - he employed a professional hostess whose job it was to get the party swinging - she was very good at it too :lol: With the jumbos the crews were too big to manage and I think he went more for Gulf Air crew :lol: The other incident was after a few of us went out for a meal in a hotel and one of the crew was a natural comedian and had us laughing all evening. There was a group of two Saudis with white women in the restaurant and they took offence to us enjoying ourselves. One of them was related to the Chief of Police and reported that our girls were prostitutes. We were given the tip by the hotel manager and one of our guys slipped out to arrange for a couple of taxis to meet us outside the rear fire escape. As we ran outside we were surrounded by police and manually pushed into police cars. One of the stewardesses was punched in the nose and eye and physically thrown into the back of a pickup truck while the Saudis stood there laughing. F*ckin' ragheads :lol:

Anyway - remembered some more:

Honeymoon in the Seychelles, flying over the Himalayas by the light of the full moon, standing on the steps of the Governor's Palace in Khartoum where General Gordon was killed, Omdurman market and the confluence of the White and Blue Niles, the Greenland glaciers and calving icebergs from the air, Christ the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf - Rio, the floating market on the Chao Phya river - Bangkok, intercepted by a Soviet Mig over Sofia during the Cold War, and oh, ok then - Pat Pong red light area in Bangkok and one of life's embarrassing moments when the naked girl on the stage squatted down facing me and fired a slimy banana which hit me in the face :$

I didn't say they were all good experiences :lol:

Ian :)

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

"Pat Pong red light area in Bangkok and one of life's embarrassing moments when the naked girl on the stage squatted down facing me and fired a slimy banana which hit me in the face".

Steady Ian, Steady! ;)

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

What amazing experiences. :)

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Incredible :-O ...a banana. ;) That's an amazing list Ian. :)

Brian