BA11 - Even 500 series so weak?

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Benedettini
Meteor
Meteor

BA11 - Even 500 series so weak?

Post by Benedettini »

As procedures say, climbing should not be over greentape, or EGT hitting red temp. If I do my climbs that case with published weight data set into FS; it takes ages to climb my desired FL; just like NEVER more than 1800fpm at any given time lol
Is that normal to achieve soooo low climb rates?

I want to ask to you experts because I wasn't born during their era even :P And I want to fly as realistic as possible, also on IVAO.
I would plan my cruising levels in accordance then. Do you have weight--to--ceiling charts for this? :)

:cheers: Let's fly!
Rust and dust, is a must...

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Re: BA11 - Even 500 series so weak?

Post by NigelC »

1-11 is late 50's early 60's technology. To put it into perspective, 1 engine on a CFM powered 737 has around the same thrust as both the engines on a 1-11, so it is a relatively slow climber.

As far as cruising levels are concerned, use sector distance as a flight level, i.e. 250nm = FL250 and so on to max of FL350, obviously over 350nm then you can't go higher than FL350!!!

Some of the 400srs could go up to FL370, but only on sectors of 2hrs or less, obviously you could climb up there on a longer sector once you've burnt off fuel down to similar weights.

N

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

thomasburnside
Trident
Trident

Post by thomasburnside »

You will get used to it when i first got DMs 111 (Amazing piece of kit David Maltby love it hope you see this). Anyway as I was saying when I first got it I blew engines up not good straight after takeoff and i did stall it a few times but recovered it. It is a slow climber i will admit but with the right amount of power from those awesome Speys you should get there in no time.
Vulcan XH558 DONT Let Her Die She Wants To Fly.

Benedettini
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Benedettini »

thomasburnside wrote:You will get used to it when i first got DMs 111 (Amazing piece of kit David Maltby love it hope you see this). Anyway as I was saying when I first got it I blew engines up not good straight after takeoff and i did stall it a few times but recovered it. It is a slow climber i will admit but with the right amount of power from those awesome Speys you should get there in no time.
Yes I have about 50 hrs recorded on them so ikr :) But i was just climbing at max. throttle, advancing to yellow but never to red. I think I have caused those engines decay muuch faster :((

Benedettini
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Benedettini »

Can anyone tell me if BA11 510 series come up with water injector too? I cannot find its button, but there is Top Temp controller only.
I am going to return from LEPA but im really really anxious about climbing now without powering...

REQUEST: Can an expert tell me what FL should I pick LEPA to EGGW, outside 25-30 celcius (will be in evening) im about near MTOW.
FL240 enough, or I shall increase/decrease it?
Thanks.

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

FL310

At those temps, 1-11 severely limited on runway performance.

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

Benedettini
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Benedettini »

NigelC wrote:FL310

At those temps, 1-11 severely limited on runway performance.
Nope, northbound EVEN, therefore FL300... And yes I did so, after FL240 for 15 minutes.
It was OVER SEVERE, that in order to climb i had to keep temp. at yellow line all the time till FL240. Tried levelout for below-yellow; then i literally had no climb rate, even no speed buildup.
Now uncle Dave needs to pay hundred thousands for those engine's repair :P You can check my flightlog there :)

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

What speed were you flying at FL240?

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

In the days of the 1-11, there was no such thing as FL300. On tracks from 180 to 359 assigned levels would be FLs 290,330 for a 1-11 and for those aircraft not limited to FL350 by lack of drop down oxygen, ( which the 1-11 was ) 370 or if you were brave enough 410. Reciprocal levels would be 310 or 350. If you are having trouble reaching these levels the problem is you are too ambitious . Most light twin jets such as the 1-11 and DC9 would only achieve rates of climb of 500 -700 fpm at best from about FL 250 onwards . It was not until the advent of the 737 that real climb performance at higher levels became available

Benedettini
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Benedettini »

NigelC wrote:What speed were you flying at FL240?
Mach 0.70, climb speed was 280KIAS, FL300 crz was at .70 too.

Last picture, you see even at 250kias, TOP TEMP; where I supposed to reduce to crz setting (below yellow), i throttle up; and you see rate...
I tried below yellow setting, and I lose speed at levelout.

FL300