XP users...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

XP users...

Post by TSR2 »

No comment on the quality of journalism at ZDnet, but as I've been banging on about for the past few years...

http://www.zdnet.com/your-perilous-futu ... &ttag=e539
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: XP users...

Post by GHD »

He doesn't frighten me ;)

I will be sticking with XP for all of my development work since my compiling environment doesn't work with W7 or 8.
George

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

The end of XP will probably be the end of FS for me.As I feel just now,MS And their continual OS changes can take a running jump.I would have to replace my old pc,mainly for the purposes of FS,so might just stick with the iPad.
Last edited by Tomliner on 22 Aug 2013, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

NigelC
Concorde
Concorde

Post by NigelC »

Damn good OS. Be sad to see it go, already looking at upgrade possibilities, specifically 64 bit.

"Speed building both sides.....passing one hundred knots.....V1..rotate...oh sh*t..."

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Nigel, I have Win 7 64bit and can say it runs fine and so does FSX and FS9, probably be cheaper to buy than the Win 8 version as well.

Regards
Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

As they say XP was a run away success

Why not fix the XP issues and abandon that God awful Windows 7

Fact is, in my case, I want XP and don't want the newer OS
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

It's a non issue for me. I have a good pc and have been collecting spare parts for it on the cheap. I keep a good backup of the os with latest updates and installed programs in iso format.
... sure I won't expose it to the internet, but I have a win 7 machine and my android for that.

Not sweating it one bit.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Garry :hello: I used to like my XP a lot - never let me down ever!! but unfortunately the computer did and had to replace it and the new one came with Win 7, initially I did not like it but after some time I found it OK. As you know I am not connected to the internet so Win 7 has never had an update, just run it as it came from the factory but serves me well enough to keep simming. Have you tried it yet?

It is a shame that XP is no longer going to be supported as this means that a lot of local authorities and businessess are going to have to replace their XPs' which will prove quite costly licence wise, much to Microsofts pleasure and pocket!! :worried:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Tomliner wrote:The end of XP will probably be the end of FS for me.As I feel just now,MS And their continual OS changes can take a running jump.I would have to replace my old pc,mainly for the purposes of FS,so might just stick with the iPad.
Eric!!!! Don't stop simming!!!! Unless you're in a virtual airline (sorry I didn't check), you shouldn't be affected anyway.
Fully agree, hate the changes that are thrust upon us. I have a pile of CD sims that won't work even in "compatability mode". The constant updates are a pain, and every time I allow them, my box turns itself off randomly. In one week, I had 27 W7 updates plus one NVIDIA upgrade. Acfew times each day, the screen dies, recovers. Recently the whole box turned iteslf off 4 times in one evening; strangely, though the computer was off, the screen held the frozen image until I turned off the power supply. :dunno: didn't think it possible :dunno:
I've not used Internet Explorer anyway, Firefox does me fine.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Guys, its a 12 year old operating system. I could understand the complaints if you had been forced to upgrade every 3 years, but you've had 12 years of faithful service, i don't think on this occasion Microsoft can be accused of coining it in. No other manufacturer has ever kept an operating system supported for this length of time.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage