XP users...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: XP users...

Post by airboatr »

And did that make Ballmer's confidence go up or down.
:wasntme:

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Poor Ben! All he did was link to an article and reaped the XP whirlwind. I hope you didn't get too much collateral damage, Ben :lol:

But, reading through the responses, I notice that nobody has actually commented on what the article is about :doh:

This doesn't affect me at all as I don't have XP and I'm unlikely now to upgrade from W7 and I can no longer even use FS. But I wonder if some people might not have actually read the article and the other one linked to the bar chart within it and just commented on what they thought it said.

It's actually about the existing security vulnerabilities of XP and how they will become far worse when there are no more patches. That big red bar on the left of the chart is the infection rate for XP systems and over to the right there's a tiny little green bar for W8 and then other stuff in between.

That's what the article's about and what Ben's warning you about. It's not about what OS you prefer to use or which is better. The article is saying that if you have any interest in protecting your computer from online malware then it's time to stop using XP and older versions of IE.

And don't shoot me, either. I'm just telling you what the article says and it says that sticking with XP for internet access is now, and will in the future be very much more, risky.

Ian :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I read it Ian

That's why I said why not fix XP rather than W7
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yup.. I read it too. Not much to comment on really. That bloke is supposed to be a guru so no matter what I say.. my XP system is doomed :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Oh you killjoy Ian.We were all enjoying a good rant! Point taken though.In my case,most of my online time is now on the pad.However I will use Firefox from now if using my pc.Upgrading the OS on my pc is not really an option because of its age therefore,as I mentioned earlier here,I have some decisions to make.
Ian, I'm sorry that you can longer use FS although I don't suppose that it tops of list of concerns at the moment.Are you still planning that rail trip up to the North of Scotland with your friend? If you do manage it perhaps you may be able to post some pics for us to enjoy.Hope you're bearing up ok mate.Best Wishes EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Tomliner wrote:Oh you killjoy Ian.We were all enjoying a good rant!
I know! Everybody was having such a good rant and I was feeling left out :( So I thought I'd stir things up from another angle! I'm feeling grumpy today due to a change of painkiller regime. I'll update that on the other thread over the next few days! Anyway - I think you should all get rid of that silly old XP and get proper software and do as Ben tells you :wall:

It's really soul-destroying after all this time to have my FS set up just the way I want it with all that lovely FTX scenery in the PNW and Alaska and then not be able to use it because of the pain involved in using the mouse and joystick! It's totally crap timing :lol: I can only do stuff on the laptop for short periods now but, like yourself, fortunately I have the iPad and with the bluetooth keyboard I can use that without much limitation.

I just drove to Winchester to stay over in a hotel with my brother - a 90 minute drive, which is about my max now - and we had a really nice bonding session as we hadn't met since my diagnosis. It was a new 4* hotel with luxury bedding and we had a very expensive meal with lots of wine and port but the irony is that I could only sleep by sitting in the armchair! Life can be so cruel. At least I slept.

At least I don't have to worry about Windows XP :lol:

PS Sept 9th is planned for Inverness ;)

PPS Carry on ranting - I won't interfere again :lol:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I also read the article, Ian.

Or- Mr Middleton if you prefer.
:)

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

airboatr wrote:Or- Mr Middleton if you prefer.
:)

Joe - if I preferred to be called something else then I wouldn't sign my posts as Ian! I'm not sure where you're coming from here? :dunno:

But, whatever... You can call me anything you like without fear of reprisal! I'm surprisingly easy going :lol:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

You tell 'im Kate :thumbsup:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

If XP is vulnerable, and W7 not so much, why do we have so many W7 "important updates"? I believe that they are mainly security fixes, and like I said a couple of days back on this thread, there were 11 then 16 over 2 days, and they always seem to create malfunctions. Yes, hackers continually "up" their efforts, and are obviously a genuine cause for concern, making these updates necessary. I wonder whether the quantum computers they are now building will be as open to abuse?
Maybe we should sack the boss of the internet? Please write your suggestions on a one hundred pound note and mail them to ......... 8)